IBM Db2 Review

On our old system...the performance and stability couldn't meet our requirements. After migrating to DB2, it's much better.

What is most valuable?

A4: Automatic storage. Disk space management is one of the biggest pain points for a DBA. Even Oracle 11g R2 cannot do better than IBM DB2 when it comes to this feature.

How has it helped my organization?

The old system (Wealth Management) was on Microsoft SQL Server platform, however, the performance and stability couldn't meet our requirements. After migrating to DB2, it's much better.

What needs improvement?

Absolutely -- centralized management tools with UI interface, like Oracle EM .

Three years.

Yes. We even encountered DB2 bug on the Version 9.7.0.9 and it's the reason why we upgraded to Version 9.7.0.11 .

Yes. Many tables or indexes can't be scaled up without reorg step. As an unbreakable system, it's a very bad design.

8 out of 10. IBM Lab is quite strong. The site technical support is good, too.

See my answer to the 'Stability' question.

It's quite complex. It cannot be done without reference.

The reference documents and education resources in the market might not offer as much as Oracle Database or Microsoft SQL Server.

It's still much more than open source databases such as PostgreSQL, but much less than Oracle and Microsoft.

Calculating the license fee is always very complicated and only the IBM sales can get the final answer. It's not a transparent way.

Yes. Oracle Database.