IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

Stable and scalable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the UTS tool as well a for billing and data. We use it to clean the data from different systems and for pulling in data.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for bringing in data from third-party systems.

Various aspects of the solution are valuable, but it often depends on the use cases.

Finding logs is very easy on the solution.

Overall, compared to SAS or Informatica, the solution is much easier to navigate.

What needs improvement?

The mod options should be simplified. Some options on DataStage aren't working properly.

The solution needs to lower its price.

The template mapping could be easier.

The solution should allow for compression of data.

I've been using the solution for about 12 years.

Typically, the solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about six or seven clients using the solution currently.

We've never been in direct contact with IBM's technical support. We use a third party, so if we have issues, we turn to them for troubleshooting.

We previously used tools such as Informatica. We've also previously used SQL for billing.

The initial setup is easy for the DataStage, but for billing and metadata, it gets more complicated. In our case, before installing the metadata, the proper documentation was not there, which complicated things a bit.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

The solution is quite expensive in comparison to similar solutions.

We did approach other vendors before ultimately choosing IBM.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

If you are comparing the solution to Informatica, this solution is much simpler. In Informatica, for example, there might be two to three ways to find a log, but with DataStage, they make it much easier. However, compared to other vendors, IBM's licensing costs are more expensive.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.