IBM InfoSphere DataStage Overview

IBM InfoSphere DataStage is the #6 ranked solution of our top Data Integration Tools. It is rated 4.0 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to SSIS: IBM InfoSphere DataStage vs SSIS

What is IBM InfoSphere DataStage?
IBM InfoSphere DataStage integrates data across multiple systems using a high performance parallel framework, and it supports extended metadata management and enterprise connectivity. The scalable platform provides more flexible integration of all types of data, including big data at rest (Hadoop-based) or in motion (stream-based), on distributed and mainframe platforms.
IBM InfoSphere DataStage Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM InfoSphere DataStage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2020

IBM InfoSphere DataStage Customers
Dubai Statistics Center, Etisalat Egypt
IBM InfoSphere DataStage Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM InfoSphere DataStage pricing:
  • "It's very expensive."
  • "Small and medium-sized companies cannot afford to pay for this solution."

IBM InfoSphere DataStage Reviews

Ursula Fladeruf
Owner at mip GmbH
Jul 30, 2019
Powerful, reliable and the ability to run it in parallel mode makes it very fast

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy company, so we are not using DataStage for our own purposes. We deploy it for our customers. We use it to supply data integration and data warehousing solutions based on the specific needs of clients.

• "The product is a stable and powerful data management solution that can run in parallel mode for enhanced speed."
  • "The interface needs work to be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this particular product as a nine out of ten. It is very powerful and very fast, but the problems with the interface make it less than perfect. As far as other advice that I would have for other people considering this as a solution, the first and most important is to examine your needs and decide on the processes you want to build. From that, you can immediately have a better idea of the type of solution that might be best for you. Then it is a good idea to get the advice of a consultant — like us.
KirillSlivchikov
Executive Director and Co-Founder at 7Spring Consult
Sep 29, 2019
A powerful tool with parallel data streams

What is our primary use case?

It is in the environment of our client, who is a large Russian bank. They are in the top 20, as of August, and have the re-maintenance project of their data warehouse solution based on IBM technologies. They use IBM BWD, a banking data model, on Netezza and DataStages in ETL tools. It is a native case. We are using the on-premise deployment model.

• "The data lineage report can be filtered for reporting. The reports are user-friendly and take less time to find what you need."
  • "We would be happy to see in next versions the ability to return several parameters from jobs. Now, jobs can return just one parameter. If they could return several parameters, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

It is the best solution in the IBM environment. It uses IBM data models, such as data quality tools.
Learn what your peers think about IBM InfoSphere DataStage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2020.
447,846 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ahmed Adel
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 5, 2019
A powerful solution for complex transactions with an extremely straightforward setup

• "DataStage works better with Linux operating systems when the application services are hosted on Linux system equipment, but it's powerful on Windows too."
  • "I really like this tool, but the administration should be on the same client application because a lot of administration features are not on the client-side, and they usually need to have administrative access. It's quite complicated to force IT teams to have separate administrative access from the developers."

What other advice do I have?

The last version I interacted with was 11.3 because the later versions were cloud-based and usually our customers didn't want to use the solution on the cloud. In terms of advice, I would give to anyone trying to implement the solution is this: you to have accurate sizing. Clients always do the sizing wrong and they need more experience to get the sizing right. Setting up the environments takes sizing into account but it usually makes a lot of problems if the sizing is poor when it starts to operate. Then you have re-implement and it will require an increase in resources that will change your…
PravasRay
Systems Integration Associate Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 30, 2020
Helpful support, and the Hierarchical Data Stage is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and we use this solution for our clients. We set up the data for them. We have various healthcare-related information from their vendor and business partners. They have integrated them and get data reports from it.

• "The Hierarchical Data Stage is good."
  • "The interface needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I am not a developer, I have a team within our company for that. There is a cloud migration strategy going on, so they are thinking of moving to the cloud. They want a tool that is not heavy and suitable for their budget. The recommendation for using this tool would depend on the requirements. I don't have anything bad to say about this product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Amir Miandarbandi
CEO at DELOMID IT
Aug 1, 2019
A solution that is easy to use for designing and transferring data

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers. The majority of them are Enterprise companies.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to transfer information via notes."
  • "The documentation and in-application help for this solution need to be improved, especially for new features."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, but there is room for improvement. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Prasad Bodduluri
Senior Data Warehouse Developer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Dec 9, 2019
Stable and scalable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the UTS tool as well a for billing and data. We use it to clean the data from different systems and for pulling in data.

• "Finding logs is very easy on the solution."
  • "The template mapping could be easier."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. If you are comparing the solution to Informatica, this solution is much simpler. In Informatica, for example, there might be two to three ways to find a log, but with DataStage, they make it much easier. However, compared to other vendors, IBM's licensing costs are more expensive. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Muharrem Iseri
Managing Partner at Caligo
Nov 28, 2019
A good platform for integrating data and has good ETL features

What is our primary use case?

My company is a consulting firm and I'm a managing partner. We consult for large size companies in the telecommunications, banking and insurance sectors. We partner with IBM. We're not using the latest version of DataStage but one of the more recent ones. I use the product for a migration project. It's a DB2 to Oracle migration project and the source database is mainframe. I need DataStage for that purpose.

• "The ETL tools are probably the most valuable feature. It has an IBM tool, a friendly UI and it makes things more comfortable."
  • "Reduced cost would allow more customers to choose the product. It's quite expensive in relation to the cost of other similar solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate InfoSphere an eight out of 10.
reviewer1248066
Enterprise and Information Architect at a tech consulting company with self employed
Dec 15, 2019
It's a good and stable product but performance monitoring could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I'm an enterprise and information architect, and we're a customer of IBM. I personally don't use the product but assist companies in the market do for making the integration picture and design.

• "ETL is the most valuable feature."
  • "There are three things that could improve - the cloud, monitoring and cloud integration. It's a solid product but not a modern one and of course it depends what you're looking for."

What other advice do I have?

I think DataStage is a product that one should look at as a good candidate in this segment. I would rate this product a seven out of 10.
See 4 more IBM InfoSphere DataStage Reviews
Product Categories
Data Integration Tools
Download our free IBM InfoSphere DataStage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.