IBM ProtectTIER Review

Protects data in hybrid infrastructures, but it is an expensive product with poor support

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we offer to our clients.

It is used to protect data for our customers, in hybrid infrastructures that are both physical and virtual. Some customers use the IBM Power Systems, for example. We have many use cases in our country.

We are using the on-premise deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the self-service features and the ability to search the data.

What needs improvement?

The main challenge for our customers is to replicate the virtual environment upon restart, without using any additional solutions such as VMware SLM. I would like the possibility to back up the infrastructure and then replicate it upon on restart, without having to orchestrate the starting of the VM. It would be much better for us.

This solution can be made easier to use.

Technical support is very frustrating and we are considering other solutions because of it.

Stability is something that should be improved.

The product is expensive and the licensing should be changed.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The stability of this solution can be improved.

Scalability depends on the requirements of our customers.

I have a lot of frustration when it comes to technical support from IBM for this solution. There is very little responsivity, and this solution is very, very complex.

The initial setup of this solution is very complex. The deployment takes approximately five hours, and two people are required for the process.

One person is sufficient for maintaining this solution.

We implemented this solution in-house.

This solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

These days, we are thinking about pushing another solution because of the poor support from IBM. We do not want to invest in training, and our customers are very frustrated with the complexity of this product. It is also very expensive.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.