IBM Rational Performance Tester Review

It automatically correlates dynamic values, reducing script-enhancing times and meeting project schedules. However, it failed to support the Oracle NCA protocol.

What is most valuable?

• Automatic correlation and saving manual correlations and parameterization in a rule, so that it can be used for re-recording or subsequent flows. These features are big time saver.
  • Easy to include Java classes and write code to manipulate or provide data getting generated at run time.
  • It offers a good variety of reports to identify the presence and cause of performance bottlenecks. The reports provide the response time breakdown at the method level, which can be used to identify the cause of the bottleneck, by identifying slow performance classes, methods and individual lines of application source code

How has it helped my organization?

Saving the correlations in rule file and using this rule file, helped to automatically correlate dynamic values and thus reducing the script enhancing time and meeting the project schedules. Its built in root cause analysis tool helped to identify issues in codes. It also has good report formats and also provides variety of reports.

What needs improvement?

Support for more protocols is required. In one of my projects, we had an application using Oracle NCA protocol. To record this application, third party BSD plugin provided by IBM was used which was not very helpful. The support for this plugin was also not good as IBM support team didn’t know the exact solution.

It's been over three years.

It's above average.

We previously used HP LoadRunner and switched because the license is cheaper.

Straightforward.

We used a vendor team.

The pricing is fine, and it's good for long periods.

What other advice do I have?

It is significantly cheaper than LoadRunner. I would recommend this tool for small businesses with only web applications for performance testing. This tool is good to use after LoadRunner, but since it is not marketed properly, people have difficulty in using it. Once you are used to this tool, it is user friendly and provides very good analysis for web applications.