IBM Rational Performance Tester Review

It's given us the ability to have an editor to see requests and responses, and how to correlate them.

Valuable Features:

Customization and extensions made in Java is valuable because this can help you set elements to improve your results.

Additionally, it gives you the ability to have an editor where you can see requests and responses, and the way to correlate it.

Lastly, the possibility to cross data with your servers measure points such as CPU percentage, disk I/O, paging, etc.

Improvements to My Organization:

Once we we're doing performance testing for a new system developed in Java, and the people in charge of development wanted to deploy the application as soon as possible for contract requirements, and were proposing to deploy it without performance testing it to gain two weeks.

We refused to do that and thankfully we did it, because during testing the server launched a CPU page fault error meaning one of the eight CPUs the sun blade had was defective, and needed to be replaced.

Room for Improvement:

I can't suggest anything as I haven't used the latest version.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for about eight years.

Deployment Issues:

We had open many PMRs for problems found in the products, and I'm not sure if all of them have been fixed.

4/5 - customer service is not bad, but many times they said that for an issue found in the product it "works as designed" and in my honest opinion, they were not correct.

Previous Solutions:

We chose this product because the client had a full contract with IBM for software services.

Initial Setup:

It wasn't complex as the documentation is vast.

Implementation Team:

Implementation was neither a vendor team nor in-house. It was done as a service contract.

The main advice is to not forget to plan early all the testing cycles, and no matter how pushed you may be, don't give up on testing before deployment to the production environment, as this will save you a lot of money.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM software partner for services and software sales.