IBM Rational System Architect Review

Stable with good customization of the meta-model and good reporting

What is our primary use case?

When we selected this product, we were in an implementation of our ERC, and in that context, we had a lot of information and models to manage. That was the main reason that I recommended back-up storage. I was aware that when the change or the transformation was taking place, we were managing so many documents related to the way our enterprise is organized and functions. We needed this type of solution to manage it, and that was the main reason we had it in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The main advantage of the solution and its most valuable aspect is the customization of the meta-model.

The module for publishing reports is very good.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

I didn't use the solution for very long, so it's hard to go too in-depth with what the solution may have been lacking.

In the commercial approach, a lot of implication is on the technical. I wasn't really well supported when I was using it, which made it difficult.

The integration with all other modules could be a bit better. If you want make it a universal solution, you have to add some items, and find the modules you need. That's not too helpful for clients. They need to have a package that can satisfy clients fully on every project.

The solution needs to better integrate with other products, like Microsoft.

We basically just used the solution as part of an experiment, and not throughout the entire enterprise. It wasn't that long.

It's very stable. When I used to have a crash on the desktop, I used to restore it and it worked fine.

The technical support was fine. However, we accessed it online. It was not a special technical team that dedicated for us. Overall, we were pretty satisfied with the experience.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, those that set up the solution didn't inform the new management and kind-of did it as an experiment. In the end, management decided not to proceed with usage.

When we used it, we had it installed on a simple desktop. We didn't manage it in a public environment.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.

I can recommend the solution, however only for the meta-model customization. Integration with all other software, like Microsoft, to facilitate an exchange, is not great. It can be an issue when it comes to ensuring the deliverables happen within the current software.