IBM Spectrum Control Review

A one stop, one shop product helpful for diagnosing performance issues

What is our primary use case?

We use Spectrum Control mainly for our monitoring and reporting solutions.

The solution is on-premise. We have just one instance of Control. It is one stop, one shop. We just put everything in Control. We can go into the product and not have to worry about merging multiple services.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits would be mostly the ability to diagnose a problem. For example, if we have a customer who has increased latency, stating that they are having problems with their storage and they want us to take a look at their storage systems and see if there is anything wrong there. I can easily go to Spectrum Control full performance statistics and provide an answer in less than a couple of minutes, whereas it used to take about an hour for a full analysis. So, it does save a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. The ability to get into a storage device and look at whatever you are trying to look at as far as performance, then obtain the reports that you need to do your analytical work.

What needs improvement?

If we were to add VM level performance being able to monitor VMs on a VM level, then that would be good. Right now, the way Spectrum Control performs VM inventory, it does not really pull VM performance data. I would be nice if we could have this.

Before we used Spectrum Control, it was a product called TPC. Back when it was TPC, it was very slow and sluggish. It was very slow since its installation, therefore my colleagues were not big fans of TPC.

Whenever we implemented Spectrum Control, it was a lot smoother, faster, and more stable. There are some hiccups in the DB2 database, but not as many as there were with TPC.

It is pretty scalable as far as what you can add into it. It does support all other IBM storage devices, but it is also starting to support other vendors as well. Therefore, you can put NetApp or Dell in the solution, or whatever other storage solutions that you have. We did have some NetApp in our product and it has proved to be fairly helpful.

The product should be able to meet our expectations for growth. There are a lot of reports that we have which are outdated on other products. As Control moves forward, we will be able to generate and replace those reports.

I have used technical support before. It was not difficult at all. I put on a support ticket and support came right back to me. I received my solution within a couple of days.

We were using another product (TPC) for monitoring and reporting, and making the switch to Spectrum Control has been very helpful when looking at performance issues when it comes to IBM products.

It was pretty straightforward.

The other product that we used for reporting and monitoring, it was very expensive. We were already licensing Spectrum Control. This was one reasons why we went to Control rather than using the other product. It has turned out to be just as good, if not better, than what we were paying thousands of dollars for.

We also evaluated Storage Insights.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product.