IBM Watson Discovery Review

Great language support, solid stability, and reasonable cost

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for the help desk.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to provide longer service availability for support to users. Currently, so many people are working remotely or from home. Because of this solution, we didn't have to surge staffing to be able to meet the needs of so many users, especially when people are working longer hours and require more support, and are transitioning to a completely remote role.

What is most valuable?

Language support and the ability to build a natural language of speech recognition are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There are probably other chatbots out there that were built for specific use cases and are easier to deploy than this. Having said that, Watson is way more flexible. While it may require a greater amount of effort, it is not substantially more than some of the other ones that are kind of prebuilt for a specific use case. It would be good to have more prebuilt and specific use cases and specific business models.

It can have better phone integration, even though I think that it is actually becoming less of an issue. Most people are online nowadays.

I have been using this solution for about nine months.

It has been solid.

It is very scalable. It is also a very broad and deep product. You can take it in a lot of different directions. It certainly could meet the needs of pretty much any business that is using this type of technology.

We develop and maintain a lot of solutions in-house. We have people from various lines of business who are actually making use of it. A lot of users of this solution are administrative sales staff. They probably are in the hundreds.

In terms of our plans to increase its usage, it is very hard to say at this point. It really depends on how much it is being used, but cost-wise, it is very reasonable, and it is based on API calls.

Their support has been good. We don't have any problems there. Their people are knowledgeable.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The deployment probably was a matter of weeks.

IBM supports a program, especially during COVID, to allow businesses to surge quickly. They were very quick, and it was a very positive experience.

For its deployment, we probably have two or three people.

Cost-wise, it is very reasonable because it is cloud-based.

What other advice do I have?

If you can take advantage of some of the programs that are being offered by IBM right now to get people on Watson, you should do so because it's an investment part of IBM to do that. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that it is opening up other use cases for this type of intelligence, chatbot type of applications, and other lines of business.

I would rate IBM Watson Discovery an eight out of ten. It is hard to give anything a ten. If it was easier to set up and had more prebuilt and specific use cases and specific business models, that would probably bring up the rating. The rating has nothing to do with its performance or its reliability. It has more to do with whatever efforts are necessary to build it for your particular business.

IBM