IDERA SQL Safe Backup Review

It has reduced our backup time, however backups do get skipped

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up and restore databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced our backup time and simplified our backup processes across all the servers.

What is most valuable?

The compression, because it drastically reduces the disk space.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the pieces that they have put in the web only to be put into the thick client sitting on the desktop client. They moved a lot of the features to their web-based version of it. Because of the large number of databases that we have along with our backup, their web product can't handle it. So, we can't use it. So, we are missing out on a lot of the new features.

The way the filtering goes, if you filter on your view, there is no indication that you have made a selection. Unless you can remember day-to-day that you may have something deselected or selected, your view may be different than you expect, and there is no visual indication of it.

More than five years.

Over the years, we have had stability issues. By and large, IDERA has been pretty good about addressing stability issues in a timely manner.

We do have trouble with scalability. We backup a large number of databases across our enterprise. It has a hard time handling the influx of backups when they happen all at once. We are backing up on average somewhere in the neighborhood of about 50,000 to 70,000 backups running during the course of the day. Sometimes, it has a hard time keeping up with this.

By and large, their tech support has been pretty good over the years. Recently, because we have been a customer of them for years, I know some of their tech support guys have moved on to other positions within the company. The tech support is lacking because of this.

The knowledge of the people there now along with the turnaround for stuff to get corrected is lacking. I had a support call with IDERA yesterday, and I am still waiting for a response back, not for this product, but for another one.

We did not previously use another solution.

The setup is pretty straightforward. A few prompts, and everything is installed.

The product's pricing is a good value. They have a straightforward licensing model.

I evaluated several products. This is one we chose, and this is the one we stuck with. We evaluated LiteSpeed and one other solution.

What other advice do I have?

It has been a solid product for us over the years.

Make sure you check your backups on a regular basis. Backups do get missed with this tool, for whatever reason. We constantly have to look at backups that have been run to make sure that nothing got overlooked with the number of backups that we do and the number of databases that we back up with the tool. We have a little different environment than possibly somebody else. It may be easier for somebody to look quickly, and say, "Oh yeah. I missed a backup."

I am not talking about an error. I am talking about an actual backup just being skipped. That is what I would caution people on.