Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Review

Great discovery module feature; scans and blocks whatever is necessary

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are banks and insurance and financial institutions that want to achieve compliance. They want to achieve auditing for their regulatory compliances as well. On the database side, that includes being able to monitor DBS and to block certain activities on the DVF. On the application side, it also has to be preventative and that's also part of compliance. This solution enables clients to achieve data security, whether on cloud or on prem. We offer support services and we are a service provider for database security through Imperva and also application security through Imperva to our clients. I'm a cyber security engineer and we are gold partners of SecureSphere DS.

What is most valuable?

I would say the discovery module is the most valuable feature as it provides good visibility of the database environment to particular sites. It scans the entire front of the environment to detect any new databases found just to make sure there are not any malicious things going on. I think it's a very powerful tool in that sense. It also helps that the solution is able to block queries that are able to be run by given database administrators on databases and manages user rights.

What needs improvement?

I've been part of various projects and also interact with clients because I do pre-sales. Most of the feedback I receive relates to clients wanting to see an improvement in the reporting. They like the ability and functionality of the solution but they feel the reporting is lacking. The general feeling is also that the GUI has been the same for a very long time and there is room for improvement there. It could look a little better and then if the reports are also improved that would make a big difference all round.

From a basic implementation point of view, there are some features that are very technical, clients want everything very granular and they always say Imperva bundles everything. You do a signature, and ABC updates and you trust what the ABC is doing. I think if it were a little more granular and detailed in terms of how, for example, a query stream is being detected or something like that, rather than just blocking something, it would give the administrator a better view and understanding of what's happening.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

The physical appliances are always very stable. In terms of CPU usage, things like the gateway load, payway load, they come with a little bit more capacity on that front. I think the issue always comes with the virtual appliances where you may run out of space, or maybe there are new versions of whichever hypervisor you are running that could change and maybe affect the virtual machines running on top. On the physical side, there's never an issue, it's stable.

Database security is highly scalable because depending on the number of sites available, you're able to assume that you have the running agent. You can then access the IP for the gateway, you can log in your logs which are managed by the NX, so it's all fine. It's highly scalable for the database. I think even if you have branches all over the country, you can manage them centrally where you have agents monitoring whichever database is allocated to whichever site. We have deployed over 60 projects all over East Africa. I currently handle four, which are two application and two database.

Their technical support is good and the response is guaranteed until the problem is solved. I think when it comes to response time, it's always very quick. Maybe just one simple criticism would be that it's very hard to get a remote station with them and everything is always email and sending logs. I'd like to see more hands-on and direct contact with the environment.

Complexity really depends on the client's environment, but I would say the initial set up for basic deployment of the components should take roughly six working days. It has to be integrated with everything. Installing links to all the other databases could take maybe another 10 work days, so around two weeks. I do the deployment.

Customers are very, very satisfied with the licensing costs and there's not really anyone that competes with Imperva so the clients are very happy. Their requirements are covered.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Imperva. I swear on it and try to pitch Imperva every time. I know its abilities, I know what you're going to get. I know how user friendly it is. It's easy to create policies. Reports are very okay. It's got various compatibilities, desk deployment, so Imperva is what I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Imperva SecureSphere Database Security reviews from users