Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Overview

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Database Security tools. It is most often compared to IBM Guardium Data Protection: Imperva SecureSphere Database Security vs IBM Guardium Data Protection

What is Imperva SecureSphere Database Security?

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security:

• Audits all access to sensitive data.
  • Alerts or blocks database attacks and unauthorized activities, in real time.
  • Detects and virtually patches database vulnerabilities.
  • Identifies excessive user rights and dormant users, and enables a complete rights review cycle.
  • Accelerates incident response and forensics investigations with advanced analytics.
Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Customers

BlueCross BlueShield, eHarmony, EMF Broadcasting, GE Healthcare, Metro Bank, The Motley Fool, Siemens

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Imperva SecureSphere Database Security pricing:
  • "Pricing is low and scalable to add features and volume."
  • "The pricing over-all depends on the entry level. For example, if support and maintenance are about $20,000 - $25,000, the initial cost can be five times more. It is less expensive for the company to maintain the client than to make the deployment."
  • "We have all the licenses, which we pay for annually. The price is a little high, but the product is good."
  • "They have introduced new price models, which makes the product more affordable now."
  • "There is an annual licensing fee for upgrading the device."

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Reviews

Danish Ansari
Senior IT Security Specialist at National Water Company
Jun 12, 2019
Assesses the vulnerability of the database while it is running

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for our company is to enable the auditing on the DB level. The main target is to track the activities happening and by whom on critical tables. Based on that requirement, we purchased this database auditing solution because it was specific to Oracle for auditing purposes.

• "A solution which does what other name brand products do for a lower cost."
  • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would give Imperva an eight out of ten as a solution. It meets our requirements equally to what we got from IBM Guardium which we went with based on little more than their name. In a later review, we considered Imperva and realized that both products had almost the same features. If the same functionality is provided by both, it is hard to justify the more expensive product. Now we will save the extra money. At that time, the administrator was not comfortable with the change to Imperva but we provided official training from Imperva. He had experience with other solutions for database…
FredBbaale
CEO at eLAAB Limited
Reseller
Jun 16, 2019
A comprehensive firewall and data security solution package with superior reporting capability

What is our primary use case?

We generally use Imperva as a database firewall and for activity monitoring. The solution has to fit the organization first. Once we know the product is a fit, we support in the creation of reports. We look at the core users (administrators, auditors, accountants, etc.) who need to get information and we look at the responsibility matrix. Our responsibility is the database and we try to implement the total solution for an organization. This means reports are created for the specific needs of, say, IT security administrators, top management, IT guys, etc. This shows each group or individual… more »

• "Flexible reporting allows for customization that keeps the admins from having to interact with system automation."
  • "Performance can be slow under heavy loads, but this should be adjusted by scaling."

What other advice do I have?

Imperva is a good product if you look at its core functionality and the way it's built. It's a newer product and very consistent. Oracle has been around a long time and may suffer from that legacy a little. If clients want a product which covers all database management systems, then Imperva can work out of the box. Ideally, you can deploy within a day or two of signing a contract. Implementation time with Imperva is much shorter than with Oracle. I think I would rate Imperva a nine out of ten, despite the occasional performance issues. It delivers on the core functionality. If it's running…
Learn what your peers think about Imperva SecureSphere Database Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Derrick Akankwasa
Cyber Security Engineer at Isolutions Associates Ltd (ISOLS)
Oct 8, 2020
Great discovery module feature; scans and blocks whatever is necessary

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are banks and insurance and financial institutions that want to achieve compliance. They want to achieve auditing for their regulatory compliances as well. On the database side, that includes being able to monitor DBS and to block certain activities on the DVF. On the application side, it also has to be preventative and that's also part of compliance. This solution enables clients to achieve data security, whether on cloud or on prem. We offer support services and we are a service provider for database security through Imperva and also application security through Imperva… more »

• "The discovery module provides good visibility."
  • "Reporting could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Imperva. I swear on it and try to pitch Imperva every time. I know its abilities, I know what you're going to get. I know how user friendly it is. It's easy to create policies. Reports are very okay. It's got various compatibilities, desk deployment, so Imperva is what I would recommend. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Ajay-Chattwal
Project Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 31, 2019
Policies and alerts allow us to detect malicious activity in critical databases

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is specific to database security through log auditing, to identify the actions performed by various users. That gets logged. Then policies are used to see whether any action performed by a database user is below a threshold or above a threshold; whether there should there be an alert because of it. It is used by specific teams within our organization to monitor activity, to see whether there is any malicious activity or a user who's not supposed to be performing a certain action.

• "The tool happens to be very intelligent when it comes to processing policies and sounding alerts. It allows us to implement policies and measure actions against them, raising alerts accordingly."
  • "The only challenge I see is that SecureSphere is deployed on servers or databases which are held on physical infrastructure. However, there are databases which are hosted on cloud platforms and Imperva has a separate tool altogether for that, not SecureSphere."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to go to IT CentralStation and download the report on database security tools. In general, it's all about the policies that you put into the tool to get the output. The tool itself is pretty smart. As someone who is designing the policies or the outputs or the queries, it is like putting a query into a SQL database to get the results. The better or more optimized the query is, the better output you will receive, and so it goes with this solution. When selecting a vendor, pricing, of course, is the most important thing to look at. Then, you look at the scalability options, at how…
Sanjeet Kumar Bhuyan
Security Consultant and Cybersecurity Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 29, 2019
Enables us to monitor the most critical DBA activities, helping identify default accounts and passwords

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for database monitoring. We are also using the blocking part, which is used for: * Any suspicious activities which are done, such as delete command and query command, outside the admin, the solution is supposed to block them. * The blocking of compromised databases through cloning. Blocking will not allow the cloning. We use it for blocking and auditing. Our job is monitoring. We are a government entity and provide services to other ministries. We use Imperva for its Database Activity Monitoring and File Integrity Monitoring tools. We have also enabled Database… more »

• "As we are very sensitive to financial impacts, this product provides great protection for our organization."
  • "I would like to see improvement in the integration part of the tool. This should be an easy process."

What other advice do I have?

Identify the proper use cases, then implement it. Resource overhead management is a good option. The OS chain option provides the real user behind the DB application user.
reviewer1404789
Core Banking Application Support at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aug 16, 2020
Good granular auditing, but have had issues with the WAF and do not find it user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring database activities.

• "Currently, we have audit features for auditing databases, for example, granular auditing, which we really enjoy. We've been using it to check what users do."
  • "The solution is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is okay, however, there is a lot to be improved upon. For that reason, I'd rate them five out of ten overall. It's not a bad tool. It's a good tool. I tend to recommend it to others, however, if you're a small company, it may not make sense due to the fact that it is quite expensive.
Daniel Kiilu
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Sep 21, 2020
The company's focus on their market sector makes them stand out from the competition

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for data security.

• "The technical support for Imperva is super, super, super."
  • "They have very good documentation and knowledgebase resources that add to the depth of their support."
  • "The company focuses on and has a passion for security."
  • "Imperva needs to improve their cloud capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

Imperva Security Sphere is something that I recommend any day, anytime because they are very much focused on security as a passion. So you find it has tons of capacity for scalability. It is focused on security. Even the solution's usability is very good. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a nine scored out of ten possible points. Features that I would like to see to make it to ten-out-of-ten means that they will need to add a few things. First, they need to onboard database encryption features. Then they need to add some of…
Arash Azari Samani
Unix System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 11, 2019
A scalable solution that helps to secure our web-based financial applications

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is securing banking web applications. It protects the web service of one of the big Internet banks in Iran.

• "This solution has helped secure our Internet-based services, protecting us against DoS and other types of web-based attacks."
  • "The GUI for this solution could use some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Imperva is a product leader in this line, and it is very good. In fact, I have experience with other products, and I would say that this solution is best-in-class. If we had support then this solution would be perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 9 more Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Reviews
Product Categories
Database Security
Download our free Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.