Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery Review

Fire-and-forget solution and it has a good portal when I need to dig into it

What is our primary use case?

I have remote users and I needed to be able to back up their stuff. So all my remote people have it. I needed a backup solution that was distributed, just like my workforce. It is 100 percent cloud-based, and fire-and-forget.

I have also set it up for a few of my high-profile users, which includes all of my management team. Because we're a hospital, there isn't a lot of data on the nurses' workstations, so there's no real need to back those up.

What is most valuable?

The fire-and-forget aspect is the most valuable part, and it sends me reports when I key them up. I also like the portal when I need to dig into it. It's all web-based, so when I'm working from home I can just log in and poke away on it.

Its Critical Server Insurance feature for protecting physical and virtual servers, including Windows, Linux, VMware, and Hyper-V is mandatory for me and it makes me happy. If I had a backup solution that didn't do that, it would not be a backup solution and would not be any good. For example, if something is just backing up Word documents and putting them somewhere, I can get a million products that do that, and half of them are free. But if I'm going to pay for a service, it's got to be automated. It's got to be able to hit all my infrastructure and back up everything I need backed up. If it can't do all that, then I've got no interest in it.

When it comes to the ease of management of Infrascale using the Infrascale Dashboard, it's pretty slick. You smash buttons and check the stuff you want to back up and you pick your deployment. Smash more buttons and it happens.

The speed of Infrascale's backup functionality is fine. I don't notice it running and it doesn't impact the performance of my machines.

What needs improvement?

They set me up as a vendor, not as a client. So sometimes I end up in the wrong portal and I'm doing vendor things instead of client things, and I didn't realize that right away. Once I figured it out I just changed my favorites on my desktop to go to the client-side. It confused me for about three days, when I was setting it up and deploying it.

I picked up the Infrascale Platform around September or October of 2020, so I've been using it for about nine months.

The stability seems fine to me. I've not had any issues with it yet.

Scaling is fairly straightforward. If I run out of space, I call them and they add more space, and they up my bill.

I don't know if I'm going to add any more clients to it, but that's not because I don't like the solution. It's just because I don't think I need to back up those machines.

I haven't had to contact Infrascale's tech support.

I've used Unitrends and Datto and dozens of others. I've been doing this for 30 years. We used to have 12 or 13 local servers that we backed up and we're now down to two. I didn't need a backup solution that costs $20,000 a year anymore. Since everything is cloud-based for us, I was comfortable with moving to a small, distributed backup solution. I didn't need the big dogs anymore.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I did my whole configuration in less than 30 minutes. That covered the base install, what I'm backing up, who it applies to, and what the general rules are for the backup. Picking the who, what, when, and where took about 30 minutes. Then the actual deployment took maybe 10 minutes per machine, if that. I set up 15 to 20 machines.

The Infrascale Dashboard is pretty and it works when it comes to centralized deployment and configuration of the solution. It's like driving a car. Most of the steering wheels are round. Most of the interfaces are cookie-cutter. They're all the same these days. They have what you need to do and you smash the buttons and you go. I didn't find anything missing or lacking.

My implementation strategy was to make sure I hit my managers, my servers, and my remote workers; to get those things covered. Anybody who is important, I put them on it. We're a small hospital, we've got 10 beds and 100 employees. I do run a couple of other backups on my servers and snuck this one in there as a tertiary. The more backups the better.

I'm a one-man IT shop. I do everything. I manage all vendor relationships that affect computers, our medical machines, and our firewalls, among other things, in any way. But Infrascale is a fire-and-forget solution. That's why I like it. I set it up and I walked away.

You get unlimited clients and buy a bucket of space. In addition to the standard fees there were setup fees.

I looked at some of Datto's newer, smaller stuff. I had a conversation with Unitrends. But since my organization is so small, they wouldn't even return some calls.

Datto had more bells, whistles, and features than I needed. They have the one-touch, instant bootup of a server on a local appliance or the cloud. I didn't need that feature anymore and you pay a fairly good premium for that. That's why I went with Infrascale.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using SentinelOne for my antivirus malware stuff. They're one of the best in the industry. I don't have a lot of events where I need to pull from backup or recover. I just needed a system that I could use to back up my remote users. I'm not too concerned with  Infrascale's malware detection stuff. It was one of those fancy little things they throw-in. As far as the time it would take for a boot-ready failover, it would have zero effect on my operations. My stuff is 100 percent cloud-based, including my EMR, Outlook, and Teams. But I'm utilizing 95 percent of what Infrascale offers, for the package I bought.

Overall, I set it up, configured it, deployed it, and walked away from it. It just chugs away happily.

More Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.