Jenkins Review

​This is a very good, powerful and flexible product, but requires a lot of time investment to get the maximum out of it.

Valuable Features

The Jenkins Job DSL plug-in is the most valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been able to create CI jobs for each branch of our repository. Being able to test builds for each branch before it is merged to mainstream branch helped to improve stability of the app and have faster develop-test iterations.

Room for Improvement

The installation process could be simplified, especially on Mac OS X.

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight months.

Yes because the installation process is not obvious.

The default settings do not work properly on Mac OS X. You have to tweak JVM parameters and allocate more heap memory as well as change other parameters to have a stable Jenkins server.

I haven't had to scale up yet. We have one build box which is running two agents on it.

As this is open source, there is no such thing as customer service, but there is a big community to look for information and get answers.

As this is open source, there is no such thing as tech support, but there is a big community to look for information and get answers.

Personally, I previously used Bamboo. I switched because I changed jobs and at my new place Jenkins had been used. It would unjustified to do a move from Jenkins to Bamboo, given that Jenkins is capable of performing same tasks.

It was complex and additional knowledge about launch agents and daemons is required. There are at least three, if not four, different ways to install and configure Jenkins, which is not always good.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

ROI

It's high because the product is free.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The original setup. for us, was the cost of a new Mac Mini box which costs, from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the configuration.

Other Advice

1 visitor found this review helpful
4 Comments
Software Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

Hi,

Since you have had experience with both Bamboo and Jenkins at this point, are there any comparisons of strengths/weaknesses of each that are worth pointing out?

21 May 15
Maksym GrebenetsReal UserTOP 20

Hi,

It so happens I have a blog post just about Bamboo vs Jenkins comparison, though in regards to mobile apps development.

What are the policies around here? Can I post a link to my blog post?

21 May 15
Ariel LindenfeldCommunity Mgr

@Maksym - yes, please share the link!

22 May 15
Maksym GrebenetsReal UserTOP 20

It's very subjective, just the way a blog post should be :)

24 May 15