Jenkins Review

My experience with Jenkins and TeamCity for CI

What is our primary use case?

- Run automated tests with release pipeline.

- Run tests against different environment.

- Manage selenium grid.

- Integrate with slack, browserstack and AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

CI tools such Jenkins and TeamCity, totally helps our release and tests. It saves our money, time and labour cost. And make release/delivery of the our product more visible. It drives the development team and other departments’s ambition.

What is most valuable?

Jenkins: pipeline/delivery pipeline and we can use shell script in the configuration. Jenkins has a lot of plugins.

TeamCity: We can run automaton tests.

What needs improvement?

For Jenkins: It needs to have less bugs. I do not how they test the plugins, but sometimes, the plugins have issues. I have no time to check where to report the issue.

For TeamCity: It need to be cheaper.

More than five years.

For automation tests, Jenkins nodes some times experience instability. I have no better solution yet, since I have concerns with the networking and firewall as well.

I do not know if it is scalability problem or not. In one Jenkins instance, we had many jobs and we created so many views, it is not easy to find them.

I have never used them.

I have never used them.

I prefer to use Jenkins more, because I have used it for a long time and am familiar with it. To me, TeamCity is OK too, but it is not free as Jenkins is. We need to consider the budget, so Jenkins finally won our development’s heart.

I experienced the development switch from TeamCity to Jenkins, and I do not know the exact reason. My current company switched from Jenkins to circleCI.

When I moved automation tests from TeamCity to Jenkins, I did not experience any difficulties, but I have learning curve for circleCI.

We use AWS codepipeline + jenkins.

Before using jenkins + AWS, we used CircleCI.

What other advice do I have?

We use the Groovy language to maintain the Jenkins job configurations which is very convenient. I do not know if we can do that to team city or not, I have not had a chance to try yet. I love Jenkins more without considering budget and the technology trend.

1 visitor found this review helpful