Linode Review

With the dashboard it is easy to create a new instance and add any flavor of operating system

What is our primary use case?

I use it to host websites, including WordPress, Laravel, and Lumen.

I have hosted my website on Linode and my clients' back-end applications are running on it. One of them has a website on Shopify, and they needed an automation tool to upload products to Shopify. I developed an application that is hosted on Linode servers. It runs daily and synchronizes products with their suppliers.

What is most valuable?

The creation of instances is very good, as is their interface which is not complex and is easy to use. With the dashboard, it is easy to create a new instance and add your favorite things. You can add Debian, Ubuntu, or CentOS, or any flavor of the operating system. You can select the RAM for your instance as well.

The fact that Linode offers a small but well-focused set of cloud computing services is very important for me and for my clients. I have referred three or four clients to Linode and they are still using Linode to host their websites.

What needs improvement?

Everything is up-to-date for a small business. But for big business, they need to improve certain things. For example, there should be better security.

They also need to provide the ability to set limits. I should be able to turn off an instance at a given percentage of its capacity.

I have been using Linode for about a year.

It is very stable. It's mature now. I haven't had any issues with the services.

I love their support. If I have any issue or if my client has an issue, I just click to create a message for support and they resolve the issue or provide relevant guidance. Their support is 24/7/365.

I also use AWS and their support is very good. But Linode's support is quicker and better compared to AWS or other cloud providers. They take my problem as their problem and provide a solution very quickly.

I click on the required instance. They may have a special which only costs $5 per month. If I need that, I click on that instance. Then I choose the OS like Debian, Ubuntu, or CentOS. I then add a data center location, and then, if I need my personal PC access to the server automatically, I add that and click "next." Within 30 seconds, it is ready.

It's very cheap. The pricing model is very simple. If you have very small applications, you can use the plan which costs $5 per month. That gives you 50 GB of memory and almost 1 GB of RAM. If you need more than you have to select the next plan which is $10 per month, which has about 70 GB of data and 2 GB of RAM. I build small applications and that provides more than enough for small applications.

Taking everything into account, it has a very good price-to-performance ratio. If I use AWS, it costs more than Linode. It saves me $5 per month compared to AWS.

Many of the competitors, like AWS, have an interface that is slightly complex compared to Linode. There are no authentications or other things required in Linode. You just create your account, add your card, and do what you want to do. A non-technical person can't do AWS; you need some technical expertise to use it. But with Linode, you don't need such expertise. You can easily use and create anything on Linode.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Linode. If you need to configure or implement applications, it is very good and fast, and saves you a lot of work compared to AWS or Azure. The interface is very simple.

Private Cloud
More Linode reviews from users
...who compared it with DigitalOcean
Learn what your peers think about Linode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.