Linode Overview

Linode is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. It is most often compared to HAProxy: Linode vs HAProxy

What is Linode?

Simplify your cloud infrastructure with our Linux virtual machines and robust set of tools to develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier.

Linode believes that in order to accelerate innovation in the cloud, virtual computing must be more accessible, affordable, and simple. Our infrastructure-as-a-service platform is deployed across 11 global markets from our data centers around the world and is supported by our Next Generation Network, advanced APIs, comprehensive services, and vast library of educational resources. Linode products, services, and people enable developers and businesses to build, deploy, and scale applications more easily and cost-effectively in the cloud.

Increase storage capacity with additional Block Storage or S3-compatible Object Storage. Add instant Backups with complete independency to your stack. Ensure your applications and services are highly-available with Linode NodeBalancers. Deploy Kubernetes clusters with our fully-managed container orchestration engine.

Linode Pricing Page

CPU, transfer, storage, and RAM bundled into one simple price.

>> TRY FREE WITH $100 IN CREDIT

Linode Buyer's Guide

Download the Linode Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Linode Customers

Best Buy, Panasonic, Giphy, Marco Polo, World Health Organization, Font Squirrel

Linode Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Linode pricing:
  • "The monthly cost depends on your requirements."
  • "At this point, I'm paying more like $35 per month for a slightly bigger machine, and the backup, and the object service."
  • "I pay $5 per month for each of three servers, for a total of $15 per month, and I normally prepay a few months in advance."
  • "Being that they are small, their prices are slightly higher than the large providers like Amazon if you compare raw computing power."
  • "There might be something a little bit cheaper but I find it very fair and competitive, and nothing to complain about."
  • "The pricing model is very simple. I like the simplicity of it, starting at $5, then doubling as it goes up from there. That is a brilliant idea, and it is not complex at all. It is about as dead simple as you can imagine. So, if you want to double what you have, then you double your price, pay the money, and reboot. It is done. It's that simple. You can't beat that."
  • "There are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees to include things like extra public IPs and backup services."

Julio Graham
Managing Director at Olive Professional Services Ltd
Mar 30, 2021
Helpful automation scripts, good documentation, responsive support, easy to use and manage

What is our primary use case?

Linode is a service that hosts virtual machines for you.

• "The ability to fire up a virtual machine, use it, and then kill it, is quite a valuable feature for me."
  • "Before they changed the dashboard, I found some of the more granular options easier to find."

What other advice do I have?

Because I am such a happy customer, it is difficult to point to an area that is in need of improvement. I've not had a use case, and none of my customers have said, "Oh, we would have loved to have used Linode, but they don't do X." What they do is more than adequate for what I need. In my view, you'd have to go a long way to find something. I don't use the API, although I've seen a lot of documentation on it. I'm guessing that the API is an area where people would want different accessibilities, but I don't know enough about that to be able to comment. They changed the dashboard quite a while…
Allister MacLeod
DevOps Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Mar 29, 2021
Straightforward to set up, helpful support, and the Object Storage is useful for system backups

What is our primary use case?

I have a single 4GB model Linode and I use it as a personal server. I originally set it up to act as an email server, just for my own personal vanity domain. I don't use it for that anymore, but it's proved to be useful for many other things. Right now, I run a Minecraft server on it and I also use it for a little bit of software development. I also use it as a jump host, if I need a stable place to SSH from my laptop to get to other online resources. It means that I only have a single point that I go through to get to the other stuff that I need.

• "The most valuable feature is the static IP address, which has been very helpful for being able to log into the same address over the course of more than a decade."
  • "I would like to see more seamless integration with backup, although it's pretty easy to do."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Linode is the oldest lesson, which is just that a virtual cloud server has the availability and the flexibility that I couldn't get from physical at the time, or even now, for that matter. It's a key component in having something that's useful, having a machine that you can log into and do things on, in a consistent way, regardless of where I am or even what machine I'm connecting to it from. My key advice for anybody who is looking into Linode would be just to dive right in. Pick it up and play around with it and if you find that it's not for…
Learn what your peers think about Linode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jacques Gelinas
Vice President Technologies at Croesus
Apr 8, 2021
Cost-effective, well managed, reliable, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

I have my own social media system called bolixo.org, and I am hosting it using Linode.

• "They have a very nice web interface to allow you to manage and reorganize your server."
  • "I don't know how all of their services work, but my understanding is that they're not offering the entry-level machine for someone who just wants to own their own web page."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Linode for any company that wants to host a web server or other similar things. Linode provides a lot of services that I don't use. For example, they provide backup functionality, load-balancing, monitoring, and other features that I do myself. In this regard, I am not a heavy user of their service. That said, I consider myself a very serious Linode user, but I'm using their product very lightly. I'm glad that they do offer more services because as I grow, I may want to use them. For example, when it comes to something as simple as a backup, it can be a nightmare. I was an IT…
ME
Marcus Ealing
Founder /CEO at Entropy Studios
Mar 29, 2021
Flexible and responsive customer service, stable, and reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

Initially, my use case was to have a server platform running that wasn't tied to the company that I worked for at the time. I wanted a solution where I could access our product and services from a platform that had no relation to our own. I was performing testing, as if coming from the outside as a customer of ours, having no network conductivity on our servers or anything like that. That was the first use case. We realized that it was pretty handy to have a cloud platform that didn't reside in our network, so what happened next, when we moved our data center from Dallas to Florida, we… more »

• "The most valuable feature is that they are flexible and easy to get ahold of if I need something."
  • "Because they are a smaller company, they do not have, for example, all of the ways for authentication that Amazon or Azure has."

What other advice do I have?

Linode offers a smaller, but well-focused set of cloud computing services to customers, which I think is important because they are able to provide a very high level of support. If they did everything, if they were much larger, maybe they couldn't maintain that level of support because it wouldn't work if all of their customers asked for special treatment. My advice for anybody who is considering Linode is to start very small and become a customer of theirs, just so you get used to and familiar with the way that you deploy servers and services. I suggest this because of the fact that they are…
SV
reviewer1531539
Managing Director & Lead Software Developer at BASX Software Development
Apr 4, 2021
Responsive support, scales with our requirements, and the DNS management tool is helpful

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases involve renting virtual private servers for our infrastructure, which is used for the development of software, website databases, websites, and some infrastructure such as for audio and video conferencing. The main purpose for using their virtual private servers is for our in-house development program. We use a Linux environment for our website database applications.

• "The virtual machine configuration tool is very helpful for setting up a new server or for modifying an existing server."
  • "They recently changed the web interface and although the older one did not look as good, the new one is less responsive."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Linode is the importance of stepping up production-ready infrastructure. My advice for anybody who is implementing Linode is to start with a small server, work with it, and then scale up later. This works well because scaling up is really easy. If you plan on very large infrastructure, conduct a PoC first. In the case where you are just hosting websites, you can start with the resources for 100 or 200 users, and then scale up as the demand increases or the size of your company or user base increases. In summary, this is a product that meets all…
TK
reviewer1497927
Security, Programming, Infrastructure Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feb 17, 2021

What is our primary use case?

I am generally using them for bringing up websites and servers for customers. Oftentimes, a company will want their own mail server and/or web server, and I will use Linode for that. It is extremely convenient and easy for me to do this. I really like how they are set up. They just seem to do everything right.

• "Because of the way that their pricing model is set up, I can scale up or down the size of a customer's server very easily. It makes life very easy for me when they run out of space, need more speed or RAM, etc. I can very easily pay the difference and reboot the machine, and now I have the upgrade that I wanted. That just makes it extremely simple."
  • "They could have more international servers. There are certain places throughout Europe and Eastern Europe which are very open to doing a lot of technology business, such as Romania. Romania is very open to technology. At other service providers, I have stuff in Romania. I think there are some Eastern European locations that would be more open to it. So, if they could have more European points of presence, that would be more helpful."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. I would recommend Linode. Don't be afraid to try out the cheaper, smaller systems for whatever you are running. Pick the system that meets your system requirements as best as possible, but you really can save. I would recommend it because you can save a lot of money as well as time and hassle. I would rather pay just a little bit more and have a hassle-free operation than to pay less and be faced with support issues. I don't like having to deal with support. I don't like having to bring in anybody else to help me debug something. So, I look at Linode as everything just works. It is…
Maxi Cooper
Co-Founder at Menze
Reseller
Apr 8, 2021
Helpful support, simple to manage, good visibility of usage statistics

What is our primary use case?

I have two use cases. I work mostly by developing e-commerce sites for companies and the first use case is to develop the infrastructure, the hosting solution for those e-commerce platforms. This is done mostly in Magento, WordPress, Drupal, and other open-source platforms. We also have our own solution, which we host in Linode. It is a software as a service platform that connects Mercado Libre with Zendesk, which are two separate companies, and we join them through middleware.

• "The simplicity by which you can handle your inventory is one of the things I like the most."
  • "It would be nice if they had more data centers in Latin America."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Linode is to try it out. It worked for us and I think it would work very well for any users that do have the technical knowledge to take care of the system administration. If you're technical and looking for a stable solution then you should try it because it's easy to use. They do offer a managed solution as well, although it's not as easy as utilizing a web hosting company. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Linode is the importance when it comes to thinking about all of the points of failure. In particular, which ones you control and…
Rudolph Pereira
Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feb 22, 2021
You have complete freedom to configure it anyway you want

What is our primary use case?

We use Linode in our projects. We have one Linode, and it is quite straightforward. We have one Linode provisioned, which is running on the LAMP stack. We are using the latest version.

• "For small businesses and people who have some technical skills and are good with Linux command line, this solution is great. I love Linode because it is very fast. Whereas, the same configuration on Azure and AWS will be so slow. The best thing is that their pricing and speed are great."
  • "I would like Linode (without cluttering things) to provide some type of DevOps workflow where people are configuring their pipelines from running their tests and deploying to their test server. Once approved by clicking a button, it just gets deployed to production. I would like something like Azure DevOps, which we use for large applications, and would be something nice to have in Linode."

What other advice do I have?

They try to give you the basics, They try to remove complexities, keeping the platform as basic and simple as possible. That is why the system works very quickly. This is a good model to take forward and better than going with the shared systems, like GoDaddy, because you have total control of what you want to install, upgrade, and where you want to apply security. You have total control over the server. Other shared systems don't have this because they are slowing due to sharing your sources. So, I really liked this model of Linode. If you have some confidence or experience using the command…
See 8 more Linode Reviews