Linode Review

Has fantastic support and offers a well-focused set of cloud computing services

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Linode for our company website. We run a pretty large knowledge base on the site for our products. We also use it for our order email processing. All that's done on a Linode-based virtual machine.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest result is that it performs very well. Our website is quite responsive. Our knowledge base, which has a search engine, is extremely responsive. We do email order processing as well and there has never been an issue with that. We look to it to process things essentially in real-time, perform well, and give users using our site a good experience. That's what we get from Linode.

What is most valuable?

The number one thing we like about Linode isn't necessarily a service, it's their support. We've found their support to be absolutely fantastic. They've been so outstanding with their support. Every single time we call them and we ask for advice or help, they go above and beyond and it's really made us appreciate what they do.

Linode offers a relatively small but well-focused set of cloud computing services. We've never been able to stump support with a question. My experience has been that they're very knowledgeable on the systems they run. When we call and ask for advice on configuring something or setting something up, even though that's not part of their mission, they still are always very helpful and get us up and running.

It is important to us that they also offer worldwide coverage via multiple data centers. Having multiple data centers not only gives them coverage for backing up data across the world so we know that our data is not necessarily just in one place but it can be backed up in several locations. In addition, as so many companies now are international, we can get better performance in different parts of the world by having data centers spread around.

What needs improvement?

It's not really an issue with Linode itself but upgrading Linux major versions can be challenging. It would be be fantastic if Linode developed a way to ease transitioning to a major new Linux upgrade.

I have been using Linode since 2016.

It's all cloud. We have monitors on our site that let us know if the site goes down for any reason, which would include Linode having a problem. I can only remember one instance where a network segment went out. This occurred years ago. We had a little bit of downtime but they were on it and fixed it quite quickly. Linode is extremely reliable.

They make it very easy to add additional services if we need to. It could be either additional nodes or moving to another node that has more space, more memory, or whatever it is we want. There are quite a few offerings and they're pretty easy to set up. If we ever need to do that, it's certainly there waiting for us.

We can call Linode and immediately be connected with someone who's very knowledgeable.

We found the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. They have a fantastic set of documentation that will guide you through setting up almost anything. Between that, and then if something's not clear, you reach out to support who are very helpful. It's really pretty straightforward.

The setup took less than a month, and that was moving from dedicated hardware on a completely different type of Linux over to the Linode on a newer version of a different flavor of Linux. It took less than 30 days.

We did the deployment ourselves but we got advice along the way from Linode.

We have definitely seen a ROI. The cost of running on virtual services, like Linode, is so much less than running on dedicated hardware.

The pricing is quite good. We are paying a fraction of what we did when we were running on actual hardware, where we had a machine dedicated just to us. Their pricing is quite competitive from what I've seen.

Their pricing model is straightforward. From looking at their pricing page, it's pretty simple to figure out what it's going to cost.

We did evaluate other solutions on the surface. Although, at the time, we had a referral. Someone else that we knew quite well was using Linode and really liked it, so that gave Linode an edge. There are definitely other good providers out there. Linode's support was so overwhelmingly good that that's really what convinced us that we made a good choice.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to reach out to Linode, ask questions, and get comfortable with how they're going to support you moving over there. Check out their documentation, which is excellent. That will enable it to be a very smooth transition. They seem to be very willing to help people, even upfront. That would be the way I would do it.

I would rate Linode a ten out of ten.

More Linode reviews from users
...who compared it with DigitalOcean
Learn what your peers think about Linode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.