Liquibase Review

A unique product that is easy to implement, with great automation capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to package SQL code that implement a database change request.

How has it helped my organization?

Liquibase automates actions previously performed manually.  The automate rules engine to pre-validate SQL code is very flexible and powerful.  It integrates well with IBM's UrbanCode Deploy which had already benn using.

What is most valuable?

There aren't too many products that do what this solution does, which is to group packages of SQL code that implement a database change request. It's a unique product.

They have some nice features around the automation of rule checking. They have a rules engine that checks the SQL code so that you can actually do your edit checks on the validity of the SQL code. If you don't want certain tables to be able to have certain things done to them, you can have it checked for that. It's a very flexible way to kind of do an automated peer review of the SQL code to catch things before you actually try to deploy it.

Our experience has been very, very positive so far. There's good customer support. It's a product that few offer.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking. So far, it's been quite a good solution for us.  And the vendor continues to enhance the product.

We've been using it for about a year. The first half of the year we were running a pilot, testing it, and obtainin client and internal procurement approval. Now it is fully implemented and we are using it within our organization.

The stability is excellent. It's a solid solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We've started using it for real in the past few months and we're scaling it now by adding additional CPU cores, and that's easy enough to accomplish. All you've got to do is add CPU cores to scale. It's pretty easy.

As we're just starting to use it now, and we're scaling up now, we will most likely continue to do so in the coming months.

Technical support has been great. They helped us all the way through the initial implementation and have always been very helpful. We're very satisfied with their service. They are always very responsive.

The solution's initial setup was very straightforward. They worked with us the whole time.

Liquibase helped us with the initial implementation. They were with us every step of the way.

Can't fully determine yet.

Conduct a pilot with vendor support to make sure that you understand how you will integrate Liquibase into your existing processes and what the ROI will be on the license investment.

It took us a while to obtain client and internal approval to procure the licenses for us. We did a pilot first for about three months where we didn't have to purchase the license.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Liquibase. We have a close relationship with them and with IBM.

There was a company called Datical that provided a third-party package that integrated with UrbanCode to handle database changes. There's also a Liquibase open source project that provides capabilities like that. Datical just recently changed their company name to Liquibase.

We're using one of the most recent versions of the solution.

I'd warn other companies that it's a transformation of how you do things. You've got to take into account the people aspect of changing their thinking and their processes. Not every organization is as flexible or adaptable as you might think they would be to a new technology change. It really changes a lot of things such as trusting and allowing the tool to do things that you're doing manually now. I'd advise that new users don't forget about the process transformation that has to occur. It's not just the technical transformation, it's a process transformation.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's done everything we've needed it to do.