LogDNA Review

It consolidates all logs into one place and provides required features and functionalities

What is our primary use case?

It is our sole cross-correlation logging backend for some IBM services. We have a combination of LogDNA and Sysdig for root cause analysis and customer events.

LogDNA is related to the operations of the service. Sysdig is somewhat nice in the sense that it also gives us some backdrop when there are any issues with respect to resources and other types of metrics-based constraints.

What is most valuable?

LogDNA consolidates all logs into one place, which is super valuable.

What needs improvement?

Every once in a while, our IBM cloud operational implementation gets behind. Sometimes, when we have a customer event, we do not get access to the latest logs for about 30 minutes, particularly for the sites that are heavily utilized. This is clearly not good. It is impossible to do RCA when you can't look at the logs that pertain to the time period in which the event occurred. It could be more of an operational problem than a feature problem. I don't have visibility about whether it is a LogDNA issue or just an operational issue.

We have been using this solution for about a year.

It has decent stability. We're heavily dependent on it. All RCA, customer support issues, and site reliability studies go to LogDNA. It is something we depend on ten times a day.

It has much better stability than Elastic.

Its scalability is fine. We are running significant throughputs on it.

It is significantly better than Elastic in scalability.

We do not directly interact with them. We tend to go through the customer support of the services team that manages LogDNA.

We were using Elastic. The reason for going with LogDNA was that Elastic was just not able to keep up with the throughput of what our services go through. LogDNA is more stable and scalable than Elastic.

Elastic also could not give us the performance for looking at 30 days in arrears. That was another reason for moving away from Elastic.

What other advice do I have?

We haven't had anything yet that we couldn't do through LogDNA. Feature-wise, it is solid for us. From a functionality point of view, that is, finding stuff and doing RCA and other things, we're able to find what we're looking for. We don't have any constraints at this point.

I would rate LogDNA an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud