McAfee MOVE Review

Synchronizes security across the security fabric and has the ability to integrate with other vendors

What is our primary use case?

I have been using this solution for six months. We use the private on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is for clients who have big environments. For VDIs it's a nightmare to install security software to all of the VMs. It's a bottleneck for resource consumption and highers the data consumption costs. For example, let's say we have 1,000 VMs and we want to scan all of them with an agent-based solution, it eats up a lot of resources. A company offers agentless solutions, they prepare a VM and they scan the VMs without installing an agent. That VM will take care of the scan. McAfee MOVE minimizes a lot of the overhead.

What is most valuable?

Sophos only provides signature-based scanning, a basic antivirus. It is not enough for an advanced attack or advanced threat. It's weak. McAfee can integrate with the existing fabric. I really like this aspect. It enables all of the security parts to talk to each other. McAfee synchronizes security across the security fabric. They cross communicate. This is one aspect that is a huge gap with other security products. McAfee minimizes the threats.

What needs improvement?

They could try to introduce advanced threat detection. This could be a huge improvement because some customers don't want to buy the entire McAfee product. It should product from unknown threats as well.

I would like to ability to mitigate advanced threats. It should be a bit stronger.

It's fairly stable. It's used a lot.

It's pretty scalable. It has a module architecture.

Their technical support is generally responsive and has good resolutions for issues. They respond quickly.

I am very familiar with Sophos.

The initial setup complexity will depend on your deployment model. There is an agent-based or a non-agent based deployment with integrates with VMware NSX.

The deployment can take around an hour and configuring it also doesn't take much time. Any agent-based solution can take some time. The non-agent based one will only take a few hours. It really varies on the environment.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the other McAfee products. It integrates with other products and vendors which is unique to other vendors. No vendor is perfect in security and no vendor can provide a solution to all security problems. Having this ability is revolutionary. It enables you to combine the best of each vendor. McAfee is the way to go for threat intelligence.

I would rate McAfee MOVE an eight out of ten.