McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Review

Needs better EDR systems, the DLP isn't strong, and needs better customer service

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the restriction of Androids. It's for virus protection and for data loss prevention. I'm able to install the agent and forcefully upgrade all the agents in one console from EPU, hence we can protect some runners from the whole archive. I'm able to protect viruses from accessing the website.

What is most valuable?

The ability to block all USBs from the McAfee portal has been great.

There aren't too many good things I could say about the solution at this point, however. It really hasn't been working the way it should for us.

What needs improvement?

We're not very satisfied with the solution. There are some bugs on it that we've been having to deal with. Due to this fact, we've been looking for other options.

McAfee in India really isn't working the way it should right now.

The solution needs to improve its EDR systems.

The solution needs to be a one-stop protection shop. And yet, the DLP isn't strong. Anyone can break it quite easily.

The solution takes up a lot of hardware space and uses too much RAM and CPU. It sucks up our resources due to multiple processes.

The processing time is too low. Each and every interval should receive a vulnerability scan, and yet McAfee can't seem to do this. On top f that there are bugs within it that make checking vulnerabilities a problem.

Customer support is terrible. Compliance is also very bad.

We've been using this solution for about three years.

The stability is okay. If we were to rate it out of five, I'd give it a three. It's not the worst, however, it could be better. It offers a moderate amount of stability.

I'm not happy with the solution's ability to scale. If you have multiple files, the problem is McAfee also has multiple files, and, when the user is in working mode, suddenly the solution will start scanning without first asking the users and without showing the amount of time it will take. Suddenly your CPU and RAM take a dive. It affects everything. It might be a bug when you upgrade the solution. It's possible that it's not upgrading correctly or not connecting appropriately.

We have about 500 people using the solution currently.

Technical support has not been helpful for us. We tried to reach out during the implementation process and were given a run-around. We realized afterward we needed to go through a vendor. McAfee won't help us directly. Except that, from day one, no one could help us or answer our questions.

With most companies, technical support is amazing. That's not true in this case. FortiGate, for example, has great customer service.

We're looking at a different solution right now, as this one isn't working for us. We're currently using it, however, very soon we'll implement a different solution instead of this one.

The initial setup is complex, and on top of that, when you try to reach out for help and try the customer support number, they tell you that you are calling the wrong place and redirect you somewhere else instead of helping you. You need to go through a vendor to get any help, and they have to go to McAfee on your behalf.

In terms of maintenance, many other antivirus companies have software that provides maintenance. If you're going for the on-premises solution, maybe a server requires maintenance every six months or one year and there is usually a printed maintenance checklist. It's an offline process. However, no one can sort out this process on my team. On top of that, if you are going to increase the volume, you will need to upgrade and it is another platform that you have to buy and that will require maintenance.

The pricing is kind of expensive. There are other options out there that work better for the price.

With the bugs we're dealing with on this solution, we're looking for other options. We've looked at Cloud Security Intel and Trend Micro, for example. We've also been looking at one of EI Intelligence's early response DLP.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a relationship with McAfee.

We're using the most up to date version of the solution. The EP is version 6.0.0.197 and the host edition is 8.0. The DLP endpoint version is 11.4.0.452.

I would never recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate it four out of ten overall.

More McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.