Mendix Review
It is possible to create the same applications that more traditional platforms offer in a fraction of the time.

What is our primary use case?

Developing applications that focus on the business instead of just focusing on the technology. And by doing to achieving a short time to market and quick ROI.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave the organizations I worked for the ability to create far more complex applications with a smaller team and in a shorter time frame. When we brought in external auditors they even confirmed the fact that what we build would take at least 50% more resources to develop in for example Java or .Net. Also, the fact that we don't have to take care of the basics during development, means we can focus on the actual business process and how to make the product work for the business.

What is most valuable?

• The speed and agility with which you can develop solutions with the Mendix platform
  • It is possible to create the same applications that more traditional platforms offer in a fraction of the time
  • You don't need to worry about the basics surrounding security, CRUD actions, integration, UX and many other things you need to create the same basics for when developing with traditional platforms

What needs improvement?

The document templates definitely need some love, they have been around for a while but no actual improvement have been done since they were released. At least not in terms of additional options like the web counterparts of the elements you have available have. Also, Mendix is even easy for non-developers to start developing apps with, however when the applications grows and gets more complex these type of users are not fully guided in making it as secure and performance as it should.

It would be great if the modeler could also start pointing in the right direction when it comes to that. Although Mendix did introduce the Mendix Application Quality Monitor which could help with this issue.

More than five years.

In the past, I encountered scalability issues that caused stability issues. Mendix can scale to multiple application servers but at the time it could not scale to more database servers, the only solution was, to add more resources to the single available database server.

I do believe that Mendix is trying to solve this with HP Helion and Cloud Foundry solutions which are horizontal and vertical scalable. I however haven't had any experience with these platforms in combination with Mendix yet.

The level of direct customer service and technical support is great when you are a paying customer or a Mendix partner, if you are not the support is limited to the forum which is mostly run by community members, however even Mendix personnel will answer your questions.

So I would say it is alright. They have improved it a lot the last couple of years, and they continue to improve as their user base grows.

I've developed applications with numerous products combined or stand alone: PHP, ColdFusion, Java, JavaScript (jQuery, Prototype, Vanilla), CSS2/3 and HTML4/5.

However not a specific platform like Mendix, the major difference is as I mentioned before the fact that you can fully focus on business process development instead of all the basic stuff like login, CRUD, etc. That's why my primary platform to develop with is currently Mendix.

The initial setup is really easy all you need to do is create a Mendix account, create a project, fill in some basics for the project like the name, choose a base theme and then you are good to go. You will automatically get a sandbox environment connected to it, which is basically a free node in the cloud environment from Mendix to test and share your application with others. Using the Mendix Sprint environment you can also easily share the Mendix model with others to either develop or just review the application.

I've worked at employers that where both the vendor partner team and client which used a vendor partner, currently I'm working on a project in which I'm the third party expert hired to implement the solution. My advice would be to always hire a Mendix partner or freelancer with a couple of years experience before you take over development. Starting the project is easy but it still takes some experience to really set a solid foundry if you look at the architecture of your application. This is something that Mendix Customer Satisfaction Managers can guide any new client with.

The fact that your development resources can be greatly reduced compared to those platforms will give you a better ROI.

I have personally not been directly involved with pricing/licensing for any of the projects I worked on. However, judging based on experience, I can say that Mendix is not more expensive than any serious competitor solution.

What other advice do I have?

Contact a Mendix partner or Mendix for an initial POC this can usually be done within a couple of days to see the power of the rapid development with the Mendix platform. If you are still not convinced or are a developer yourself check out the developer.mendix.com community and training options that are freely available to anyone that registers for free.