Mendix Review

The platform helps set up a proper software development architecture on an enterprise level

What is most valuable?

There is not one feature that is better than the others. All are good because it is a platform and the features work well together.

The power is in the entire solution provided. You have one answer for:

• MDD - Model Driven Development
  • DTAP - Develop Test Acceptance Production environments
  • Visual web app editor
  • Visual database editor
  • Mobile and web app development
  • The ability to deploy to any major cloud hosting system, like AWS, Azure, and now SAP cloud.
  • Integrated support for Agile software development and the SCRUM working method.
  • Strong front-end development options out-of-the-box, easy to extend new features, and isolating front-end functionality, yet giving the possibility to integrate with the platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We can deliver six times faster than working with regular third generation languages.

Also, the platform helps set up a proper software development architecture on an enterprise level.

"Security by design" is also a phrase for Mendix.

What needs improvement?

I see little to no improvements to its core functionality since Mendix 7 was rolled out, creating web apps for businesses.

From Mendix 6 until 7, options on creating mobile apps have improved, but offline capabilities are not mature enough. Still, this gets a good focus within the company, so I believe this will be something of the past soon enough.

I worked at Mendix in 2014. I did not stop using it when I left the company in 2015, so three years.

No issues.

Yes, the Mendix Cloud out-of-the-box does not support autoscaling.

I would give the technical support a 10 out of 10 rating.

I have worked with many third generation languages (Java/.NET /PHP) and have found that you still need an extra third party software next to the development environment provided to come up with the same toolset as the Mendix platform.

The initial setup was both straightforward and complex.

The prices are fair for an enterprise product that has a target audience of big companies/enterprise companies.

Not applicable. I am a Mendix consultant delivering Mendix solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great platform that will help you solve hard business problems in a digital way.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: An official implementation partner.