Mendix Review

Enables us to rapidly create a complex application, but not ideal for front-end apps

What is our primary use case?

Mendix is being used for our ERP system. We needed to get away from multiple third-party software solutions and into an integrated single source of data. Mendix provides an app to control test and production servers, migrate code, handle revision control, log files, and Sprintr for Agile development.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to rapidly create a complex application. We are also able to customize features that stakeholders in the corporation want to see, something that could not be done with other software. Our workflows and processes have evolved and improved. The fast iterations allow us to be nimble, get feedback from users, and do rapid updates.

What is most valuable?

• Mendix code and coding logic are very visual. It looks like a flow chart rather than lines of code. Rapid development is what drew us to Mendix.
  • It is easy to create prototype pages without a lot of development, once the Entity (table) is created.
  • You can generate a page with a few clicks, using the default features after proof of concept, then develop the logic behind the page.

What needs improvement?

Mendix is great for internal applications but not so great for a public-facing interface. It lacks a proper directory structure for public use. The URL will not change from page to page unless a deep link is created for each page. That makes it difficult to bookmark pages in the browser to view later on. A feed can be created for other public UI solutions.