Micro Focus Service Virtualization Review

It allows us to independently test without development delay for integration. Having an SQL-based implementation would be far more usable.

What is most valuable?

REST and SOAP virtualization; we are a very heavy service-oriented company and very reliant on third-party services. Having the ability to test independently without development delay for integration has been very critical for our ability to deliver.

How has it helped my organization?

Teams have reduced the amount of delayed development effort it takes to roll out a new product by leveraging a virtual service for development and then meeting up for a final integration test when it is complete. The tool has been highly useful for edge case and negative test case efforts by QA as well as useful for high-volume levels of performance testing against third-party endpoints.

What needs improvement?

The data-driven model is painful at best. The usage of Excel can be cumbersome for larger services being virtualized. Having an SQL-based implementation would be far more usable. Also, the requirement of an SQL Server database for each individual user of the Designer tool is overkill. A shared schema would be better.

I have used it for two years.

No deployment or stability issues, and the tool scales fantastically.

I use a reseller for my support needs; it’s been fantastic when needed.

Initial setup was extremely easy; just a typical Windows installation wizard and it took me no time to get this deployed.

I implemented this tool myself. Go download it from the HPE website and try it out; it’s easy!

The Enterprise Server gives us what we need for performance testing. I think one Designer license is sufficient with the introduction of the Community Designer license now. Identifying ROI for this tool has been a challenge for us to prove out still.

What other advice do I have?

Seriously, download it and try it. If you can virtualize your services with the tool with limited effort, then it’ll be the right choice for you.