Microsoft Azure API Management Review

User-friendly, easy to use, and the developer portal is very helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are publishing microservices using API management. We have created various packages and policies that we are applying over there. We have also created a portal for developers so that they can see what we are doing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API.

It is possible to combine APIs and make a new product, which is a very good feature.

It is very user-friendly and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version. This is driven by the fact that some of our clients have specific requirements and they do not want to be on the cloud.

I would like to have an administrator's option that shows me API usage and can generate bills that I can send to my customers. Currently, our customers can see the usage but not how much it is going to cost. For example, assume that you get 100 calls for free and then 100 more free each month, but after than, each call costs twenty cents or one cent, whatever the price is. The administrator can generate reports when the bills are available and can charge them to the customer. This could be done with a monetization module, which would be better than the manual calculations that we have to do now.

I have been using Azure API Management for almost one year.

I think that this is a stable solution.

Microsoft handles the scalability so you don't need to worry about it.

Microsoft's technical support is okay. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate them an eight.

Your first response will be fast but after that, it will be slow. Then, the technician might just say that they are not the right contact. From opening the ticket until final closure will take time. Generally, it takes the experts some time to comment. Unfortunately, everywhere is like that.

We did not use another API management solution prior to this one. We were developing applications and then moved into APIs.

The initial setup is very simple. Within a few days, one can understand completely how to use it. It does not require deployment because it is available on the cloud and everything is ready. In fact, there is no installation at all.

It will take some time to onboard your API and define your policies, such as those for security. It should take about ten minutes to get up and running.

We considered other options; however, our client is mainly a Microsoft shop and they were already using Azure for various things. As such, we did not fully evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a solution that I would recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.