Microsoft 400x400

Microsoft BI Review
With the Data Platform and Business Intelligence ecosystem, you get the entire platform with a single license.

Valuable Features:

With the out-of-the-box Data Platform and Business Intelligence ecosystem, you get the entire platform with a single license.

Improvements to My Organization:

Previously, I was working for a retail company and when I got there, there weren't any analytics implemented yet.

So, what I did was, firstly, I  implemented an EDW solution so as to gather all the possible data in a single repository.

After that, I developed a self-service model so the company could take advantage of their ad hoc analysis.

Then, I implemented some standard reports to understand some basic indicators, together with the delivery subscriptions so that all the organization's levels could receive this valuable information, i.e., for more than 500 users.

Lastly, I connected this platform to the cloud (Power BI) together with a top BI Gartner solution (QlikView) so as to take full advantage of the second data insights step journey.

Room for Improvement:

The Windows OS dependency needs to improve. There are some bugs with the new features that have released.

It is getting better but still, there are opportunity areas in some aspects, especially the Windows OS dependency.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for 10 years and am still counting.

Stability Issues:

There were no stability issues.

Technical support is very good.

Previous Solutions:

I was using Oracle before, we switched to Microsoft because Oracle is very expensive for the benefits that they offer.

Initial Setup:

The setup was easy, actually, a single instance installation can be installed by clicking next and next. Maybe a cluster installation could be a little more complex, but it is still easy.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

This is one of the best out-of-the-box solutions in the market. Microsoft has to improve their Data Governance solution, but for a data platform and BI solution, it is very good.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated products such as Oracle, MySQL and Postgres.

Other Advice:

It is very straightforward, maybe you will not like the Windows OS dependency but in the 2017 version, you can install the engine on Linux.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My current company is a Microsoft Partner.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Microsoft BI?

Our experts can help. 218,478 professionals have used our research on 5,616 solutions.