Microsoft BI Review

Not user-friendly and the support could be better, but the real-time reporting is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for dashboards and reporting.

We work in manufacturing and we track any incidents that we have regarding safety.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is real-time report tracking. For example, we have a report for a human body and the human body is populated with injury data. In real-time, we can see where most of the injuries have occurred.

What needs improvement?

It is a difficult tool to use and it's hard to figure it out.

It's not user-friendly; more tutorials, training, and better documentation would be helpful.

I have been using Microsoft BI for three months.

We are running the latest version.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Microsoft BI. It's a stable solution.

It's mainly used by developers. We have 10 to 20 developers who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support could be improved. If you are able to get someone it's great, but if you don't then you are left hanging.

Previously, they were using BusinessObjects.

With the EA agreement, we get access to everything from Microsoft. It just made sense to switch.

The initial setup was completed through our internal Microsoft team.

Licensing costs are on an annual basis. There are no fees in addition to the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, they should hire a dedicated Microsoft team to implement it, and get a lot of training.

I don't know it well but I would rate it a five out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
More Microsoft BI reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Tableau
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.