Microsoft BI Review

Enables us to graphically view company-wide and departmental data

What is our primary use case?

We are using this tool for different departments. Mainly, it's connected with the ERP to show our users information that comes from data in different areas. For example, we are using Power BI in production on quality and logistics. We have created the appropriate package of data that is connected with Power BI to show our end-users the graphics, the figures, the key indicators.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to have the information in a visual format, using graphical tools. Until now, we had to view the information on paper or in Excel files. With this tool, we can view the company's and departments' situation graphically.

It also gives us the flexibility to interact with the data. For example, we can see information for one year, or one month, or a given project, or two projects. And it produces the information very quickly.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use.
  • End-users can make changes to the graphics.
  • The tool runs very fast.

What needs improvement?

I am a SAP user and I would like this tool to have more connectors - and to more easily connect to - the ERP or SAP environment.

Also, I would prefer that the solution not be shared. I'm concerned that if we make a mistake we could reveal information to people who shouldn't see it. I would like to have my own on-prem server, to buy my own server and have my own infrastructure for Microsoft BI, with only with my data. Power BI, this global solution from Microsoft, is shared with multiple companies. I would like that the content that I create, my data, be available only for me, not shared with other companies.

It's very stable. I'm very satisfied with the tool.

For me, the scalability is sufficient.

I would rate technical support for this solution at nine out of 10.

As the IT manager in my company, I oversaw the resources and the setup of the solution but I was not involved on the technical side. But I think that it was really easy. It was not complex to set up.

My team did have to read a lot of technical documentation. We also contacted a company that knows this solution, one that has implemented it for other companies, consultancy-based.

Still, I have installed more complex tools in my company. This was one of the easier tools to put into production in my company in the last four or five years.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor or product, the most important criterion for me is the usability - it must be easy to use. It must be one that end-users can learn to use on their own, so that the IT department does not have to make changes or solve problems for the end-users.

It's a good tool, easy to  use, Microsoft is adding more and more functionality.

My advice would be, always compare with other tools. In part this is own our internal rule, we must compare with others, to make sure we have the best tool.