Microsoft BI Review

There is a lot of help and documentation on the Internet

How has it helped my organization?

• It is free.
  • SSAS and SSRS work great together.
  • There is a lot of help and documentation on the Internet, so no special training is needed to use the source code.

What is most valuable?

It has the most secured database that I have ever used, which is the most important part of Microsoft BI.

What needs improvement?

The reporting part of Microsoft BI is rather limited compared to other reporting tools.

Less than one year.

It works perfectly so far.

The information which we are working on is not that deep.

We use information from the Internet everyday.

We previously used iFrame.

We did long studies about which tool to use in our company. We decided to use Microsoft BI because it was a complete product, and it is easier and cheaper than others.

In the beginning, it was a rather complex because all the documents are in English. If it is in French, it was really complex, so then we would have to read the English documents. That was the most difficult thing here. It made the product difficult to use, because of the language, so Microsoft did provide help.

In the beginning, we were about to choose Pentaho because it is an open source suite. The problem is that beyond the enterprise version of Pentaho, it is more expensive than Microsoft. We would always need to rely on an expert of Pentaho, instead of finding solutions on the Internet, and that was the reason why we did not choose it.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price
  • Ability to go on the Internet and locate support information.
  • Secure product
  • Easy interface to use.