Microsoft Dynamics Review

Finance, supply chain management, production control & inventory management are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

• Finance & budget control
  • Inventory & warehouse management
  • Procurement & sourcing
  • Sales & marketing
  • Projects management & accounting
  • Production control
  • Services management
  • Call center
  • Workflow

How has it helped my organization?

• Inventory movement control with accurate cost, so companies can follow up "Inventory costs".
  • Workflows in each module reduces time.
  • GL consolidation with sister companies.
  • Inter-company transactions have been simplified, reducing the amount of time required for a manual process.
  • Automated time-sheets.
  • Easy for developing new business like fleet management, transportation management & equipment maintenance.
  • Expenses with integrated mobile apps has reduced the amount of time required to manage payroll.

What needs improvement?

• Implementation of new different business like fleet management (cargo), transportation management & equipment maintenance.

I used AX4.0 for > 2 years as an end user (accountant).

I have used AX2012 for > 3 years as a functional consultant.

I didn't face any deployment issues, and it was a very easy transition for the end users.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We encounter scalability issues for companies specialized in huge manufacturing & long term-contracting companies.

Customer service needs improvement.

Technical support is very good.

Local programs for accounting & trade: There was no integration between modules (manual transactions for every transaction & that caused many wrong-cost issues).

We switched because AX is fully integrated between modules, reduces time, gives perfect control for inventory costs and it is very easy to use by users.

Setup was easy and straightforward. We used Excel templates to load data using the AX integration tool. We also used DIXF to upload many setup & master data. Some setup was manual, like inventory posting accounts, but that didn't take a long time.

I work as a functional consultant for a Microsoft Dynamics AX Golden Partner.

I have also worked on 10 successful in-house implementations.

ROI depends on the size of the company or the group of companies; from 6-24 months.

AX implementation does not cost a lot.

Depend on own own consultants & learn how to develop AX to reduce implementation costs.

Also, try to manage the number of users as that can reduce the license cost.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated SAP and Oracle .

What other advice do I have?

As a functional consultant at a Microsoft Dynamics Golden Partner, I see that AX requires expertise on the functional consultant team for successful implementation.

Failed implementations of Dynamics AX have always lacked functional exposure, as many customers go for the cheapest prices.

For successful implementations, companies have to get an experienced project manager to speed the implementation process.