Microsoft Visual Studio Review

A total solution in a single interface that makes for a convenient development tool

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for build management.

What is most valuable?

Visual Studios is a business solution developed by Microsoft. In general, I like it because it integrates many tools into one interface to provide a total solution. I think it is convenient to have everything in one interface.

What needs improvement?

I think that because it integrates many tools into one interface the startup is very slow. It would be nice if the startup speed could be improved. Maybe in the future, they can provide a better, lighter interface or something based in the cloud. It would be on Azure, for example, or other cloud providers. But I do not think Microsoft will have native support with AWS.

We have not only purchased the Visual Studio, but we also subscribed to MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network). I like that this way we can always have the latest updates. All the products from Microsoft always have the most up-to-date functionality.

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio for 15 years.

It is amazing sometimes that Visual Studio will pop up a message reminding me about the performance. Sometimes it will tell me how much time it is spending on certain tasks. Microsoft suggested I disable this feature, but I cannot disable it, so I have to let it post the reminders and alerts.

What I want to have is more scalability. If Microsoft can provide more possibilities for scalability that would be better for me. Sometimes I do not need it, but sometimes I think I need it. I want it to be easy to configure and easy to add our demos.

Hundreds of users are using this product within our company.

With technical support, we have the benefit of raising a ticket if we get stuck on something in progress. We can create a ticket with Microsoft with specific questions or problems to get their help in working through any technical issues. They are pretty good with their response.

When I came to work in this company, the company had already decided to use this tool. So I have to use this tool for development when working here because it is what was available for development.

The company buys and pays for the product. I think our purchasing department gets a fair price for it. But the actual price is something I do not have any idea of.

What other advice do I have?

I think how the product gets used and how it fits your use case depends on different user scenarios in the development environment. I cannot say which tool is better for someone in their circumstances. If someone wants to use the open-source to get free development resources, I think that is also an okay solution, but they may need to spend more time on making anything integrated with other OSS (Open Source Software) or OTS (Off-The-Shelf Software) software.

I would recommend this product, but it depends on the user's scenario and the user environment. I cannot easily say if another user can easily accommodate Microsoft Visual Studio or not.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Visual Studio as a seven or eight-out-of-ten.

More Microsoft Visual Studio reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Visual Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.