Microsoft Visual Studio Overview

Microsoft Visual Studio is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top .NET Development Services. It is most often compared to SharePoint Designer: Microsoft Visual Studio vs SharePoint Designer

What is Microsoft Visual Studio?
Visual Studio.NET is the umbrella that represents the key pieces of the .NET platform delivered from Microsoft, including the .NET Framework, the recently announced .NET Core, and a shared common layer of packages, compilers and runtime. Read this .NET blog post about the evolution of the platform and the different pieces that make .NET 2015.

Microsoft Visual Studio is also known as MS Visual Studio, MS Visual Studio, MS Visual Studio.

Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Microsoft Visual Studio Customers
Knab, Hamburg Port Authority, Kecioren Municipality, National Instruments, Hamburg Port Authority, Government of Odisha, Kongsberg Maritime AS
Microsoft Visual Studio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Visual Studio pricing:
  • "There's a community edition that is absolutely free to use. It's pretty good."
  • "Our purchasing department pays a fair price for it."
  • "The introduction of the Community Version allows some people to use it free of charge."
  • "The price is good."

HH
Senior Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Great integrated debugger, offers lots of features, and is extremely stable

What is our primary use case?

Right now I'm primarily using the solution for C-Sharp development. I've actually been using the solution on iOS to do Xamarin apps. That might be something that's quite atypical, in terms of using the solution. It's not easy to do.

• "While you're coding, it's really nice to be able to print stuff out and make sure that all the data is being organized the way you want it to be."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved. Right now, it's not great."

What other advice do I have?

I believe I am using the 2015 version of the solution. It's the default for C-Sharp programs at the very least. Depending on what programs we get in, we can often use it extensively. I don't have plans to expand the solution right now. There are other solutions that would be available to us. For example, if we're going to do Python development, we'll probably use PyCharm instead of Visual Studio. Visual Studio does support Python, but PyCharm was in there before and everybody knows it. So we don't really force people to use it. Our company is a small company, where developers can choose their…
ZL
R&D Director at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A total solution in a single interface that makes for a convenient development tool

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for build management.

• "It is convenient to have all the development tools in one interface."
  • "The interface is slow to start up."

What other advice do I have?

I think how the product gets used and how it fits your use case depends on different user scenarios in the development environment. I cannot say which tool is better for someone in their circumstances. If someone wants to use the open-source to get free development resources, I think that is also an okay solution, but they may need to spend more time on making anything integrated with other OSS (Open Source Software) or OTS (Off-The-Shelf Software) software. I would recommend this product, but it depends on the user's scenario and the user environment. I cannot easily say if another user can…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Visual Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RPA Developer at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and complete package for .NET software development

What is our primary use case?

We are using Visual Studio for .NET software development. One application that we are developing is for the service industry in Ireland. We are trying some PoCs for developing APIs and Web Interfaces using ASP.NET CORE. Once we demonstrate it, we will be developing a full-fledged solution. Other teams in our organization are currently developing other projects, some of which are going into production in about a month.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is a complete package, with an IDE and everything that you need for software development."
  • "There are some features that I have yet to explore and it would be helpful to have more information about what is available and how it works."

What other advice do I have?

This tool is widely used in the software industry. The most recent version, 2019, has a lot of new functionality, some of which I still have to explore. Visual Studio is a developer friendly tool. My advice for anybody who is considering using Visual Studio is that it is a complete package that contains everything you need for .NET code development. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Software Development Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is broad-spectrum so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance testing.

• "The feature I find most valuable is the fact that it's broad-spectrum, so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. They've really gone the 9-mile to accommodate not only corporate or big companies, but small, single users to utilize the community issue or business vehicle, and to develop and build on application. I would highly recommend it to anyone. In the next version, I would like to see systems like Juta as well as more testing tools. There's a massive automation drive, anything in terms of more out of the box automation features for Selenium, or ACRONYM, or automation tools like that. I rate this program ten out of ten.
    XX
    Developer at a tech services company
    The price is good and I don't need any special software to run this program

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to develop and maintain the main programs of the company for which we work.

• "I like it that I don't need any special software to run this program."
    • "In the next version I would like to see a better development tool."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to simply install it and use it. I am really satisfied with this solution. My rating is eight out of ten. In the next version, I would like to see a better development tool. The current Mobile Application Development is very integrated.
    ZK
    Software Engineer with 51-200 employees
    Integrates well with different databases for both desktop and web application development

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to develop desktop and web applications. I have it deployed on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with different databases."
    • "The reporting services are quite limited in terms of features and need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is implementing this solution, I would suggest checking the reporting services beforehand. They can create limitations. Adding the installation and packaging features are really important and would improve the product a lot. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    FX
    Programmer Specialist II at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great code management feature; improved stability has increased reliability for us

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to develop web applications. I'm a programmer specialist II and we're customers of Visual Studio.

What is most valuable?

I think the code management is the most convenient and valuable new feature. Deployment of the solution is also a very smooth process.

What needs improvement?

I think the file installations could be improved because they're very heavy and I'd like to see the solution support Python for developing purposes.

I've been using this solution for three years.

In the previous versions, the product wasn't so stable, but in this latest 2019 version they have fixed the issue and it's now a stable solution.

What do I