Microsoft Visual Studio Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
industry
rating
Dexter Baur-Schmidt
Software Development Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 26 2019

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the fact that it's broad-spectrum, so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies. We are predominately .NET based and we use mostly .NET Core or .NET Framework so I can call in any immediate packages.

What needs improvement?

I would only say the deployment outline can be improved. We have shifted away from using Team Foundation Server, because it didn't work for our company. We shifted over to the Git approach and I do know that the Team Foundation Server has Git support. But we decided to rather go with GitLab as our main platform. In terms of more support I would like to have the ability to plug into other open… more»

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. They've really gone the 9-mile to accommodate not only corporate or big companies, but small, single users to utilize the community issue or business vehicle, and to develop and build on application. I would highly recommend it to anyone. In the next version, I would like to see systems like Juta as well as more testing tools. There's a massive automation… more»
Cengiz Yalcin
IT Global Operations Manager at a Consumer Goods with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 31 2018

What is most valuable?

It's a universal solution. I like that I can easily find software developers for it. I can easily find staff on Microsoft forums. Also, we have other components that are running on top of Visual… more»

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily build solutions with this tool and we can get help from many other resources.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for rapid application development. For example, if I am developing a new project, I am repeating many similar steps again and again and again. But the platform could do… more»

The switch depended on a cost-benefit analysis. It was positive for me.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10 because, as I said earlier, it could have more options to speed up development by handling repetitive tasks. But I would recommend Visual Studio. When selecting a vendor I… more»

In this type of solution, application development, there are only a few possibilities. One of them is Microsoft. Another one is Delphi. We chose between just these two solutions. Microsoft was very… more»
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft Visual Studio vs. SharePoint Designer and other solutions. Updated: November 2019.
384,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Developer at a tech services company
Sep 08 2019

What is most valuable?

I really like the distributed software programming on the Windows platform and also we need to develop on this platform since the company's computers work with the Windows network. I like that I don't need any additional software to develop on this platform.

The solution comes at a good price and, even though there are free versions out there on the market, I still prefer this product because I like its interface.

We used other solutions before, but we decided to switch to Microsoft Visual Studio because it is the best solution for developing the Windows platform. We considered using Delphi Solutions, but few people were familiar with the platform, so we chose Visual Studio. More people use Visual Studio.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to simply install it and use it. I am really satisfied with this solution. My rating is eight out of ten. In the next version, I would like to see a better development tool. The current Mobile Application Development is very integrated.
Softwreng67
Software Engineer with 51-200 employees
Aug 13 2019

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with different databases. There are many different databases that it supports.

What needs improvement?

The reporting services are quite limited in terms of features and need to be improved. I would like to see installation and packaging features added to the next release of this solution.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is implementing this solution, I would suggest checking the reporting services beforehand. They can create limitations. Adding the installation and packaging features are really important and would improve the product a lot… more»

We did evaluate other options but choose this solution because it was more integrated with Windows.
User at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 04 2018

What is most valuable?

Personally, in my job as a developer, the version control system has been very helpful. It is also flexible enough to let me use Git as well as its own version control mechanism.

How has it helped my organization?

It is an excellent IDE, but the corporate features are what set it apart. We use TFS for our scrums, which links our tasks to actual code changes.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if Visual Studio's extensions and updates could self-correct, if they are not working or disabled, and also inform the user. Lately, for example, NuGet Package Manager has failed gracefully, but it did not say why.
OnyaToochukwu
CEO/Programmer at Tech Elight
Apr 12 2019

What do you think of Microsoft Visual Studio?

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Visual Studio for the design and implementation of an online voting system for students in the higher institution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a nice programming language. I love using it, and it has created a really great cordial relationship between my clients and me.

What is most valuable?

The language syntax is great because it is similar to the human language, very easy to understand and to work with.

What needs improvement?

A kind of tutorial page should be embedded in the software to enable first-time users learn more without the help of an expert. A page to explain most of the language syntax.

Ali Alnakeeb
Director Research Development with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 25 2018

What do you think of Microsoft Visual Studio?

What is our primary use case?

Developing various .NET solutions, making sure code is well tested and debugging issues with it, then publishing the code from the application.

How has it helped my organization?

No one can say that VS IDE is bad. It is definitely sophisticated and provides many out-of-the-box features. Going community has boosted all that.

What is most valuable?

Code navigation by symbols Document auto formatting Testing tools Publishing tools Performance testing Reference usage

What needs improvement?

Since it is a heavy product, it is somewhat slow in building and executing the code in a localhost environment and it consumes a lot of resources.

Three to five years.
Robert Cattral
Apr 03 2019

What do you think of Microsoft Visual Studio?

What is our primary use case?

C++ desktop development.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use and has a highly customizable IDE that is good for cross-platform development.

What is most valuable?

Support for many languages and cross-platform development makes it highly versatile.

What needs improvement?

Support for spell checking comments should be inbuilt and automatically installed.

More than five years.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Microsoft Visual Studio

384,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Microsoft Visual Studio Questions

What is Microsoft Visual Studio?

Visual Studio.NET is the umbrella that represents the key pieces of the .NET platform delivered from Microsoft, including the .NET Framework, the recently announced .NET Core, and a shared common layer of packages, compilers and runtime. Read this .NET blog post about the evolution of the platform and the different pieces that make .NET 2015.
Microsoft Visual Studio customers
Knab, Hamburg Port Authority, Kecioren Municipality, National Instruments, Hamburg Port Authority, Government of Odisha, Kongsberg Maritime AS