Neotys NeoLoad Review

What is most valuable?

1. The GUI based scripting. Other tools are more script/code oriented. This is a huge time saver for us since we don’t have a dedicated performance team (yet). I can create scripts quickly and get tests going.
  2. The comparison report feature is good for pre/post-change result comparisons.
  3. The ability to write custom JavaScript actions. This has allowed us to handle JSON posts in web requests, which has been great.
  4. LAN/WAN emulator has been great in being able to simulate remote locations in their network connections.
  5. It ties into Dynatrace out of the box which we’ve used for deep-dive application performance testing as well as defining business transaction SLAs.
  6. The ability to create custom Frameworks for correlation values of custom, in-house apps.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s allowed us the ability to look at the performance of an application prior to it going to production utilizing an automated tool. Up to this point, most, if not all, of it was done manually. Projects are now making time for performance testing into their timelines.

What needs improvement?

Some of the documentation is geared more towards Java. We are an all-Windows shop and it would be great to see some C# examples on how to integrate a custom performance counter from functional testing tools into NeoLoad.

It's been almost two years since we began using it.

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

We haven't had any issues with stability up to this point.

You can deploy as many LGs as you have a license for.

8/10 - Our account rep, Evan, and engineer, Steve, were great to work with when we were looking at the product. Ever since, they’ve been responsive and helpful.

10/10 - The engineers know their product and know performance engineering.

Prior to NeoLoad, we weren’t using any automated tool for performance testing.

The initial setup was straightforward. The setup of an LG or Controller is as easy as a selection during the install. It’s up to the user how complex they want their environment to be.

We implemented it in-house ourselves. Evan and Steve provided guidance while doing so.

I wouldn’t know the monetary side, but the ability to handle SignalR requests by dragging a ‘fork’ action onto the script speaks for itself. No extra coding or anything is needed.

To take it a step further, NeoLoad is smart enough, post recording, to identify and account for the presence of something like SignalR, and will create a copy of the script with the ‘fork’ action already present.

At the time of purchase, it was a competition between Neotys and HP. Neotys’ licensing model was also different from HP, although HP was transitioning into a similar model as Neotys while we were going through the process.

We evaluated HP LoadRunner. I’ve used it before and it is/was the industry standard tool.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re coming from a code-based solution, spend time with Actions to become familiar with them. Additionally, if you’re using an APM tool like Dynatrace, test out the integration just to see what it gives you.