NetApp FAS Series Review

It provides us with redundancy and security, which is important because we hold a lot of customer information that must be secure and reliable.

What is most valuable?

• Redundancy
  • Snap mirroring
  • Home-drive capability, which looks at a user name and gives the correct rights to folder

How has it helped my organization?

• Rendundancy
  • Security

We hold a lot of information for our customers, so the information has to be secure and reliable.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure, because every time I’ve gone to them, they’ve said “yes, we can do that.”

I sleep well at night because of its redundancy. I hardly even know when it has a bad drive. The Call Home capability sends a message automatically if there's a bad drive to NetApp who then sends a new drive.

Amazing how scalable it is. As a comparison, we looked at EMC vBlock as well, and if you want to upgrade, you have to use a forklift. With FAS, you just put in new shelves or heads.

They’re extremely technical. Everyone I’ve talked to has been very knowledgeable, and I can’t say anything bad.

It was complex. There's a lot to do, but I had their assistance and went through everything step by step. So while complex, it was also simple.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that burned me, is that it surprised me how much overhead it uses, like 30% right off the top. So don’t forget the overhead. It’s not usable space, but that percentage is coming down. It all has to do with deduplication.