NetApp FAS Series Overview

NetApp FAS Series is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Modular SAN tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerScale (Isilon): NetApp FAS Series vs Dell EMC PowerScale (Isilon)

What is NetApp FAS Series?
NetApp FAS Series offers powerful, affordable, flexible data storage for midsized businesses and distributed enterprises. NetApp FAS Series, named a 'Champion' and 'Best in Overall Value' by Info-Tech Research Group, is affordable, and is a more powerful storage platform than other systems in its class.
NetApp FAS Series Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp FAS Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

NetApp FAS Series Customers
Children's Hospital Central California, Plex Systems, PDF PNI Digital Media, Denver Broncos, PDF KSM Legal, Clayton Companies, Virginia Community College
NetApp FAS Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp FAS Series pricing:
  • "I've sold arrays for as little $20,000 USD and as high as $300,000 USD."
  • "I don't recall the price, but in general, pricing can always be better."
  • "It is expensive."

NetApp FAS Series Reviews

reviewer1366854
Computer System Administrator at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 27, 2020
Resilient without disrupting the user experience and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for keeping our information reliable. In our case specifically, here at the operations location, we've got a MetroCluster for redundancy.

• "For us, the greatest aspect of the solution is the fact that it just runs. It is amazingly resilient. That's very important to us, because we are basically, with some exceptions, have a 24/7 operation."
  • "The one aspect of the solution that's negative for us is also more unique to us due to the fact that we did a MetroCluster. The tiebreaker piece that does the monitoring of the two different locations, and determines if one is not talking to the network normally (or if it's truly down) is a little difficult. It feels like it was not designed from the beginning to fit well into the other pieces. It feels like it was thrown in at the last minute and it is not smooth."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with NetApp. The FAS Series itself is not as complex as a MetroCluster configuration of the FAS. I would say if you're doing the MetroCluster configuration, it's worth it to get a consultant to assist. Almost every time that I have used a consultant, I have been very glad that I made the decision to hire them. I've done the incremental migrations on my own without difficulty, however, the big changes from platform to platform in particular, and from the non-clustered on tap software version to the clustered on tap software version are…
reviewer1215186
Assistant Director, IT at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 9, 2020
Easy to manage with good data consolidation, visualization and snapshots

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data storage. We are customers of NetApp and I'm the assistant director of our company.

• "Data consolidation and visualization."
  • "The solution could do more than just data."

What other advice do I have?

Obviously anyone looking at this solution must have primarily a data storage use case. If they have a strong case for data storage, it's a good solution. From there it's just a matter of managing work flows between SAN and NAS which requires planning. You can then manage your capacities very well if you know your data requirements. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: January 2021.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1359462
Principal Architect Infrastructure Solutions at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 28, 2020
Straightforward to set up and it scales well

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and NetApp FAS is one of the infrastructure-related products that we implement for our clients. Our customers' use cases vary, where some of them use it as a backup target and others use it for the general workload. The primary use case is probably for general workload.

• "The most valuable feature is SnapMirror."
  • "If our customer needs a high-performance storage solution then we don't recommend this product."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the use cases and the environment. For places where we sell it, it fits well. In places where it doesn't fit well, we would typically go with another solution like NetApp All-Flash storage, or something from another vendor. My advice for anybody who is implementing the NetApp FAS series is to make sure that it's the proper fit. Perform a detailed sizing analysis prior to making the purchase. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Ricky Santos
System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
ExpertTop 5
Mar 9, 2020
The provision of HA has improved the up time of our entire infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed a four-node cluster to host multiple services like NFS, CIFS, FCP, and iSCSI with SnapMirror enabled across the cluster.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the combining of HA and SnapMirror."
  • "Currently, the newest release is not HCI friendly."
Paul Macharia
ICT-I Manager at KTDA
Jul 19, 2020
Easy to install and the backup features are powerful

What is our primary use case?

We used NetApp FAS for both block and file sharing but we have now switched to another product by HP.

• "The most important features are SnapVault, Snapshots, and SnapMirror."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved, as there are no longer partners in our country."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone who is considering NetApp FAS is that it is a good product and our only real complaint is the lack of technical support. If they live in a country where technical support is available then I recommend it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1451304
IT Manager at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Nov 25, 2020
Excellent and proactive support, reliable, easy to set up, and you can scale as many as you have

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using this solution for file sharing, virtualization, and database storage.

• "The most valuable features are the NAS features and NetApp's excellent support."
  • "There is no NetApp infrastructure set up here in Greece."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. I would rate NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) an eight out of ten.
ErhanEvgin
Co-founder at Forest Technology
Nov 9, 2020
Easy monitoring, very stable, and easily scalable

What is most valuable?

You can use different protocols at the same time. Monitoring is also very easy in NetApp FAS Series. There is a free tool for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing cost can be improved.

It is very stable. We have a lot of customers in Turkey, and we haven't got any major issues or complaints from our customers.

It is easily scalable. You can easily scale up and use old and new products together. NetApp products are very scalable.

Their technical support is very good. They work very tightly with us.

The initial setup is very easy. It can be set up in…
Aklilu Shiferaw
System Engineer at Symbol Technologies PLC
Jul 10, 2019
Easy to manage as a unified storage for diverse workloads

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as general unified SAN storage for different workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides us with easy management and great vendor support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that this acts as unified storage, both SAN and NAS, for all types of workloads.

What needs improvement?

Dedicated storage efficiency accelerators could improve the overall performance of the system.

Four years.