NetApp OnCommand Insight Review

It is multi-vendor and gives us the ability to report on all our VMs. The reporting tool is very cumbersome.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have insight into how our systems are being used.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that it is not just the storage itself. It also covers our switches. It is multi-vendor, therefore we are not just talking about NetApp. We also have the ability to report on VMs, which is pretty important nowadays, because almost all our systems are VMs.

What needs improvement?

The ability to better manage the graphs and the dashboards: Resizing them, positioning them, and the ability to publish them outside of OCI to websites or SharePoint.

Sold differently, the user interface (UI) would be easier. At times, it seems a little bit slow. We find when it draws data that there is a lag.

The reporting tool is very cumbersome, and it is difficult to create reports out of it. That is the most complicated part of the tool and how to use it.

I have been using it for six months.

We suffer a little bit from stability. At each batching cycle, we find some services that needs to be restarted. It has its moments. Even restarting the services does not help with the restart. I think there is work to do there to improve it.

It is fairly scalable. We have not hit the limits yet, but we believe that it will be fairly easy to scale.

We have used the tech support. Unfortunately, every time we try to get a technician specialized in the solution, it seems like we always go to the wrong department or wrong area. There needs to be improvement to direct our calls to the right place, so we can talk to the right person.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was fairly complex. Due to what this tool is capable of, I think that is expected.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool.