Nimble Storage Review
They're pricey for what the hardware/software is, but they're definitely worth it if you're in a high IOPS environment.

Valuable Features

The SSD caching and the snapshots within the array are unlike any other product I've ever worked with. Restoring VM's is VERY simple.

Improvements to My Organization

The SSD caching ensures VM performance is top notch 24/7 regardless of how much I/O the VM requires.

Room for Improvement

I'd love to be able to put larger spindles into the unit, but I get that that is how they make their money, by selling you a larger unit.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

We ran into some blue screen issues when using Hyper-V, however, with VMware it works perfectly.

None so far.

It's hard for Nimble to compare with the largest EMC stuff, but, I'm not entirely sure that they're after that segment of EMC's market.

It's top notch.

It's top notch.

We used to push Dell/Equallogic stuff, but the limited performance and lack of value caused us to look elsewhere.

The setup is by far the most straightforward setup I have ever worked with in the SAN space.

Implementation Team

My first unit was a demo unit that we used internally and setup on our own. Now we're a reseller of Nimble.

ROI

In terms of value, it's immediate. All VM's instantly noticed a drastic performance increase over the old Dell stuff.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

From one perspective they're pricey for what the hardware/software is, but they're definitely worth it if you're in a high IOPS environment. In fact they're a very cost effective solution when pinned against the competitors.

Other Solutions Considered

Everything from NetApp, EMC, Dell/Equallogic, and even QNAP. It's really no contest when you learn about the architecture in detail.

Other Advice

Definitely have a sales engineer give you a demo/explanation of the technology.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a partner/Tech Enthusiast.

Free Quote

We will send you a quote of Nimble Storage typically within 24 hours.