HPE Nimble Storage Overview

HPE Nimble Storage is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to HPE Primera: HPE Nimble Storage vs HPE Primera

What is HPE Nimble Storage?

Our Predictive Flash platform closes the app-data gap, giving you the fastest, most reliable access to data. By combining predictive analytics with flash storage, we radically simplify operations.
Once you’ve experienced our simplicity, you’ll never go back to traditional infrastructure again. Over 9,000 customers rely on Nimble to power their businesses, both on-premise and in the cloud.

HPE Nimble Storage is also known as Nimble Storage.

HPE Nimble Storage Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Nimble Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE Nimble Storage Customers

Ace Relocation, Atkins Nutritionals, Berkeley Research Group, Canadian International School, City of Hot Springs, Clackamas County, Corona-Norco Unified School District, Ideal Integrations, Linear Technology, P&O Maritime, Retail Apparel Group (RAG), Virtual Radiologic

HPE Nimble Storage Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Nimble Storage pricing:
  • "We have seen tremendous ROI. It pays for itself 10 times over in the matter of four years."
  • "We are paying for the licensing yearly."
  • "We paid about $80,000 for our permanent site licence."
  • "There are no licensing costs for this solution."

MattBonfield
Senior Systems Engineer
A reliable product that has been 100 percent up

What is our primary use case?

We have type of a private cloud-hosted solution in our data center. Nimble allows incredibly, fast data access for our SAN to our hypervisors and cluster. Nimble is just so good at what they do as far as the adaptive and hybrid flash stuff. We have two arrays: We have an adaptive and hybrid. We have a lot of healthcare clients. We have some who are in surgery at five in the morning. We are running these pretty heavy, intensive databases and SQL servers on the Nimble (or which are pulling off the Nimble). Having that type of server pinned to a specific volume, then having that volume accessible… more »

• "The stability is awesome. The product has always been reliable. It has been 100 percent up. We have never had any downtime with it. Even if a controller fails due to our firmware or whatever, it rolls over to the second one and keeps us running."
  • "Nimble's support is awesome and one of the best. You sort of get a Tier 3 plus guy every time that you call, no matter if it is a Tier 0 issue. This is super helpful in case we ever have problems."
  • "I would like deduplication by default on all the volumes. I still don't understand (or know why) dedupe isn't enabled for the templates out-of-the-box. We have to go in and manually enable it each and every time."

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. Demo it. Just have somebody put it in front of you, so you can poke around and demonstrate how it works with a real environment. Check out a Hyper-V or VMware. VMware is a lot more integrated with Nimble than Hyper-V. Live migrate your stuff. Move your stuff. Send backups to it. Send it over across the wire to a DR. Everything just works, and that is what we want. It has been rock solid, 100 percent on time, and we have never had any issues with it. We receive about a 2.4x compression rate, even on our old HPE CS300. With the new HF-Series, we will probably achieve a lot more than…
IT Infrastructure & Systems Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
A lot of redundancies in all the right areas make it a stable solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to monitor my storage. We are in radiology. Although most of our radiologists just read x-rays, there are moments when it is STAT read, where they have to read things ASAP. This applies to the emergency room and emergency departments. Sometimes, things need to be read, and it is a matter of life or death. This can also apply to cancers, detections, etc. Therefore, we need to make sure the storage stays up, and it is working. Then, our radiologists can do their job.

• "We use a platform as a service and have multiple application vendors who comprise that platform. There are moments when those application vendors put the blame on us. By working in InfoSight, I am able to say, "No, it is not us." I can actually provide proof, either by using screenshots or through reporting."
  • "There are a lot of redundancies in all the right areas, so it is pretty stable."
  • "I wish they would put the InfoSight page back the way it was. I got in it for the first time about two years ago, and it looked the same for about a year and a half. Then, about six months ago, it changed. There are different options now. I can still get to where I need to go, but it feels like it takes longer, where before it didn't. Also, I felt like I had a lot more options before. I have to do a lot more to digging now to get to where I need to go. I just wish they had their old page back."

What other advice do I have?

At my previous place of employment, I mentioned to my previous boss about this solution because it would have been good at my prior place of employment. They were in a similar situation. They had flash, spinning disks, etc. However, they used Pure Storage, Hitachi, and even some Dell EMC. When you have so many different arrays, or so many different companies, that you have to work with, it is very easy when there is a problem for a vendor to point their finger at another vendor. For a better chance of a successful integration, keep the products (and vendors) down to a minimum. I don't really…
Learn what your peers think about HPE Nimble Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JT
Senior Network Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
We have gone from multiple devices down to a single device, making management simpler

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our storage, backups, and our user storage. Everything goes onto it. We have gone from multiple devices down to a single Nimble. It hosts all of our databases for all of our servers. It hosts the servers themselves and our GFS retention jobs. It hosts everything that is critical for our business. We went from hosting a lot of our external storage on ten different NASs. Now, we have all of our storage on a Nimble. Previously, we had three or four chassis just full of stuff. We consolidated our server space down to 25 percent of what it used to be, just from storage. It is… more »

• "The storage capacity efficiency is phenomenal. It is off the charts in comparison to the compression ratios that we got before. We are able to save a lot more to the device."
  • "I would like to see the network portion of the product improve, especially with some of the things which are coming out from Aruba and HPE. Both are innovating more of an automated networking. I would like to see our Nimble meld into that and do some automated networking."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely point a colleague toward the Nimble product. Most of my peers are also at universities, and the product fits perfectly into what we are trying to do. As another administrator at another university, it will be key to what they are doing. It has met all of our needs. We haven't had any issues. They have been consistently innovating stuff and seeing it before we even think of the possible outcomes. We are consistently shocked by what is coming out. We do HIPAA compliance as a university. Part of that compliance has to do with how we back up employee files, which we do on the…
GB
Service Desk Manager at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A reliable solution that improves efficiency and reduces the burden on our database team

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case if for our central data storage. This contains our files, financial services, and customer data.

• "Not only is it high performing, but it is also more compact and fits better in our storage arrays than equipment from other storage providers."
  • "I would like to see more advanced analytics in the next release of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is efficient in more than one way. Not only is it high performing, but it is also more compact and fits better in our storage arrays than equipment from other storage providers. This helps out with space in the data center. We have experienced an increase in performance of ten to fifteen percent. This product has proven itself to be very reliable and we're looking forward to where it's going to take us in the future. Everything that they've told us it's going to do, it has done and exceeded. The biggest lesson that I have learned is not to run at any solution that is already out…
AS
Operations Manager at Nuvollo
Increases reliability, flexibility, availability and reduces administrative time

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is to host business-critical applications in the cloud for customers.

• "We get storage access without the need for more human monitoring of those resources."
  • "The large hardware components may be difficult to fit into some standard racks."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would say this product is a nine. I think it does what it promises and support is decent. The only drawback I find is the size of the components. They never told us that the hardware has a large form factor and we were barely able to squeeze it into our older racks. Storage is a critical piece of our business and, with a small team like the one that we have, Nimble ends up being a pretty good system that fits our need while lowering administrative needs. For anyone considering this solution seriously, I would suggest you do your research with other competitors out…
Larry Stewart
Director of Hosting Operations at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A compact form factor that is easy to install and deploy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is SAN storage for virtual server workloads. We do not use cloud volumes.

• "I really like the form factor, which is nice and compact and small."
  • "I would like to see greater integration with Microsoft's Hyper-V platform."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is to only make changes in maintenance windows, even when the engineers say that nothing will happen. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to go through a detailed sizing operation with HPE so that it can be appropriately scoped. We do use this solution for business-critical applications but it is too broad and there are too many to name a specific example. I like this product, but there is always room for improvement and nothing can be a ten. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Sanjeev JHA
IT Manager at Harvard University
More reliable than what we had for our business-critical needs

What is our primary use case?

We use it to extend the data center a little further. We have videos which are very large in size and which cannot be compressed. We ran out of space in the data center so we moved the media data center and expanded it. The videos are a business-critical application. We provide videos for students to access 24/7.

• "We like the performance."
  • "I would like to see more integrations."

What other advice do I have?

We like the flexibility. Anybody who is looking for a product that is easy to use and deploy, this is good. I do need to evaluate the security aspect of it, especially intelligence to counter any unpredictable growth. I would also like to see how to use the storage space efficiently, because we do, at times, suddenly come across big videos.
Chris Childerhose
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
When we had issues due to a bad Postgres database, Nimble was very helpful and even replaced the array with a brand new one for our troubles.

What is our primary use case?

Nimble storage is our primary Production storage vendor. We use this with VMware on a daily basis including a new AFA5000 all flash array for our DMS system.

• "InfoSight - analytics sight that collects data for all Nimble arrays deployed"
  • "We have had some stability issues with one array which has happened twice during subsequent software updates but is due to a bad Postgres database."

What other advice do I have?

Given the chance to evaluate Nimble it is highly recommended. Their CASL architecture is very fast and being able to get the performance from spinning disk that you see on some flash arrays is great. They are always improving the product and software including the recent changes to the InfoSight web page that allows Per-VM monitoring now. Excellent support and customer service when you need it.
See 18 more HPE Nimble Storage Reviews
Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free HPE Nimble Storage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.