Nimble Storage Review

We spend less time managing it

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is storage virtualization. We use it for public facing customer workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

We spend less time managing it.

The all-flash positions our organization for growth. It is much easier to use, and we do not have to worry about the I/O profile of the workloads that we putting on the array.

The solution has increased our throughput.

What is most valuable?

• Availability
  • Ease of use
  • Performance

What needs improvement?

The way the market is going, supporting NVMe storage would be useful as a step up.

The stability of the solution is fantastic.

The uptime is great.

The scalability is good. It is easy to scale out.

The solution’s storage capacity efficiency is as good as anyone else's that I have seen.

We find the support is pretty good. It is pretty easy to get a hold of the support team. They generally know what they are talking about.

The storage that we had was going out of support. We previously used mostly HPE 3PAR. We switched to Nimble mostly because it was simpler to administer. Also, the scale that we needed in Nimble was probably better suited for us than the 3PAR systems.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We deployed in-house.

I have not seen ROI.

The all-flash array has increased our performance. It has been good.

We buy the arrays outright, so we don't pay anything on an ongoing monthly basis for licensing.

We probably only looked at HPE and Nimble, and they are the same company now anyway.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not going for the all-flash arrays, then try to understand your I/O profile and working set. That will help you with your sizing.

Performance is great. It is still reasonably expensive, but the product is good. It does what it needs to.

From an availability viewpoint, it provides us with confidence that applications will be available when they need to be.

It does what it says on its own.