Nutanix AHV Review

Easy to troubleshoot and resolve problems, but there are compatibility problems with other software

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is as an application server.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is has helped us move from traditional infrastructure to an HCI infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The entirety of the infrastructure resides in the same product, which makes it easy to troubleshoot and investigate problems. In a traditional infrastructure, it is separated according to hardware such as storage. When we have issues, we spend a lot of time investigating. With Nutanix, it helps reduce the time required to resolve problems.

What needs improvement?

Some of our applications do not support Nutanix. There are some compatibility issues and some of our software cannot run on it. It worked well in the beginning but after using it for some time, we found some limitations in terms of compatibility with other software. It has been okay because it does run our main applications.

I have been using Acropolis for between two and three years.

The stability is good and it can run our main applications. Aside from the issues with compatibility, it is quite stable.

Being our application server, we sometimes have almost 1,000 users. We have two or three administrators to maintain it.

We have obtained technical support from the vendor.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is quick to set up and start using it.

We brought in third-party consultants to assist us with the implementation.

We now deploy it using our own team, which has fewer than 10 people.

We don't have to pay extra for Acropolis because it is built into Nutanix. If we were using another product, like VMware, then we would need to have a separate license for the hypervisor.

There are many other options that we can choose from that will not have the same problems in terms of compatibility. In the future, we will probably move to Dell to use a different solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that is certainly good for some use cases, but it is not the best. It would be better if the compatibility with applications like third-party backup software was improved.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Nutanix AHV reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere
1 Comment

author avatarSteffen Hornung
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Nutanix Acropolis is not really a standalone product. It is a product group. There were Acropolis File Services (now Nutanix Files), Acropolis Hypervisor (in short AHV), and Acropolis OS (short form: AOS). So what specifically is he referring to? I suppose AHV as he mentions the lack of buying a separate Hypervisor like VMware (which too is a company, not a product, that would be vSphere). And by all means, Acropolis is their Application Server? Never heard stranger things.

Please, stick to common terms and name the products right.

And what applications aren't running on AHV? Just name them so fellow admins find these product names via search.

author avatarAriel Lindenfeld
Community Manager

@Steffen Hornung thanks for your in-depth comment. @reviewer1329306's review has been updated so that it's now associated with the correct product (AHV). We've also updated Nutanix Acropolis's name to Nutanix Acropolis AOS for added clarity.

author avatarSteffen Hornung
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

@Ariel Lindenfeld great to see proper naming of products. But there is still the point with the incompatibilty of applications. If you ever contacted Nutanix Support you would be wowed with their level of determination to get everything running, so I doubt this has been tried in earnest. But we could not know because the kind of trouble the reviewer experienced is not clear. Whether it was OS-related (old application for line-of-business running only with legacy OS which is not supported) or simply bad developed software or other EOL issues). We have about 300 different applications in our environment and it is like herding cats to keep everything running on the latest and greatest (Hypervisor or normal OS). So I doubt that AHV is to blame for these comaptibility quirks. In a shop of his size one would expect to do a Proof-of-Concept Evaluation to test such special cases and contact Nutanix pre-order so they can look into it and see if this is solvable. We did this too and I can only recommend this.

author avatarAriel Lindenfeld
Community Manager

@Steffen Hornung hopefully @reviewer1329306 ​will notice your comment and update his review with more details to clarify.