One Identity Active Roles Review

Gives us attribute-level control and the AD management features work very well

What is our primary use case?

We use it to lock down the interface between helpdesks and Active Directory.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved things because we don't have "cowboy changes" being made to AD without us knowing about it. People still have to do the things they need to do, but we can now make sure that they don't inadvertently do something they shouldn't.

It hasn't saved us time in terms of what needs to be done, but it has saved us time in terms of not having to go back and fix stuff when people have made mistakes.

What is most valuable?

It gives us attribute-level control and the AD management features work very well.

What needs improvement?

For what we use it for, there are no additional features it would need.

Most of the time it just works.

It works at the scale we use it at. I can't say whether it would work in much bigger enterprises or not.

I, personally, have never had cause to use technical support. My guys have interacted with them a few times and have been happy with the support they've received.

Previously, people were able to update AD directly. We have reduced that by pushing everything through Active Roles. Our decision to go with this solution was part of the need to lock things down, make things more secure.

We did the deployment ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to certainly consider Active Roles and, depending on the size of the organization, consider integrating it with Starling as well.

I know the solution is extensible through cloud-delivered services but we don't use those currently.

I would rate Active Roles a nine out of ten, based on the convenience it's given us.