One Identity Active Roles Review

What is our primary use case?

1. It is mainly for delegation of permissions inside the domains for large companies.
  2. It is for provisioning and deprovisioning users in the Active Directory (AD) and their licenses in Office 365.

How has it helped my organization?

We are working with a customer now who is having some problems with their permissions and delegations, because a lot of users have to do administration activities in the Active Directory. Now, they have been given domain administrators. However, with this solution, they are skipping all the domain administrators and keeping the normal users, which is fantastic for them because some of the personnel are basic IT technicians without the knowledge of AD advance features. Our customers were afraid of errors being caused by these people, so they can avoid these errors in the new environment.

This solution eliminated tedious IT tasks with provisioning. We have a lot of customers who prefill, or have only a list of values, for some fields.

What is most valuable?

The delegation feature is really important. It is one of the most valuable features that our customers appreciate about the solution.

The provisioning and deprovisioning saves a lot of time and skips a lot of errors.

For the AD management feature, it is perfect. It covers everything.

What needs improvement?

For the AAD management feature, it needs to improve the objects that we can manage and the security. I know that they have everything in road map, so they probably will include everything in a year or a year and a half.

I would like them to support a cloud solution. This is important for us. They have it on their roadmap. For now, they only have basic options for cloud-delivered services. We are in the prospect of looking for a customer who wants a cloud-only solution, but will wait for the new features, which will probably be available in one year.

The should try to move everything to a web interface. More solutions are trying to use a web interface.

They need batch processing, but that is in the road map, and that's okay.

They need better language support. While they have a language pack, it's not always available at the same time as the product. Sometimes, when we install it in other countries, they don't have the language pack, then our customers complain about this.

It is pretty stable.

You can add more servers for some functionalities. For now, I haven't found any issues with the scalability, even with large organizations (more than 80,000 employees).

While I don't open many cases, when I do open one, normally the response is quick. They either give me a solution or put it in the queue to do it. So, for now, it is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy: Install the product and connect the domains. The configuration can be complex or easy depending on the customer.

The solution has saved our customers time by automating tasks that could take from half an hour to 45 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Test it. Whenever you test it in your real environment, you normally want it.

If you talk with an AD administrator about this solution and you display the features: How you save time, how you avoid errors, etc. It's a really good product. The main problem is getting companies to pay money for the product, but all AD administrators want to have this solution.