Operations Orchestration Review
You don't have to be a programmer but make sure to plan for stability and scaleability in your initial design

I give HP Operation Orchestration 4 stars - compared to other similar orchestration products, it is an excellent solution.

Use Of Solution:

4-5 years.

Valuable Features:

The ease of use (Studio). You don't have to be a programmer and it's something that anyone can pick up and put to good use to deliver solid solutions.

Improvements To Organization:

The best example I can think of is where I had Network Engineering management asking for customizations to Network Automation and reporting that would be done outside of Network Automation. Operations Orchestration provided an easy solution! I was able to integrate Network Automation and Operations Orchestration and create some basic flows that would collect the custom information that the manger was interested in and pass that on to Network Automation. Another flow was able to produce the reports they were looking for - the beauty was they were not able to tell that the report was not out of Network Automation and the custom data that was collected wasn't an out-of-the-box Network Automation function.

Another example was creating a solution for a client who had Network Automation, Server Automation and Operations Orchestration. I needed to collect Network Automation logs on a set routine (for support) and was able to create a rather basic flow using Server Automation (OGFS).

Room For Improvement:

It can be tricky of flow management (promotion of flows from one environment to another). Stability and scaleability are something you need to plan for when you do your initial design - I would say it is more stable than it's competitors - make sure you have an idea of how many flows you are planning on running in a set time. Redundancy (disaster recovery) is a bit of a problem, but there are ways to do it.

Note: version 10 does address many of these issues, but wanted to comment on the version I had worked most with.

Deployment, Stability, Scalability Issues:

Initial deployment is great. As I mentioned above, the key for stability and scalability are tied to the initial design.

Previous Solutions:

I have used other products since I started using Operations Orchestration (as it was in use by another client) - BMC Atrium Orchestration.

Alternate Solutions:

I would say it is on par or better than it's competitors. There is also an exceptional community of users who are willing to help and share information - what worked and what didn't work.

Initial Setup:

Rather simple.

Implementation Team:

I've done both, first with vendor team and they were great for ensuring that we had a solid design.

ROI:

N/A - I do not feel I can comment on this as I not involved with these companies. I will say that one client showed ROI based on time & quality savings, the other was in dollars.

Other Advice:

Take your time and plan the design. It is very easy to get over-excited about the power and possibilities with Operations Orchestration and try to do too much too quickly. One should learn how to walk first. The beauty of the product is you can easily add and expand initial flows, so you aren't throwing away your work if you need to add / expand. Take your time, educate staff as to how it works and what it can do for the company. Create a way to evaluate possible flows and part of this can be to figure out ROI on a flow basis (it can be a bit difficult to do after the flow is done). If you are replacing a manual process of existing script(s) - make sure that everything is well documented.

1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

You said that version 10 does address many of the issues you presented at room for improvement chapter. Can you tell me, please, if the issue with redundancy (disaster recovery) was solved?

13 October 14