Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Effective monitoring solution that offers a one-stop shop for scaling into other areas such as jobs, reporting & cloud

Valuable Features

Monitoring, EM Jobs and IP/BIP Reports

Improvements to My Organization

My company either is outsourced DBA or secondary DBA support. I am able to use EM12c to standardize what would be an almost unattainable goal without the product. With standardized monitoring templates and incident rule sets, we are able to consistently monitor, manage and alert all DBAs in each group to the same level SLA for our customer's needs.

Room for Improvement

We would love to see a migration utility for EM jobs. I've been a proponent for consolidating all database tasks from outside schedulers into Enterprise Manager Jobs. The challenge is if there is an upgrade to EM12c, this must be migrated manually and the interface is almost exactly the same as we had back in EM10g. Some improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Use of Solution

1 year and 3 months

I do have a number of clients who's primary OS environment is Windows. They have virtualized with this OS and release 3 build of EM12c experienced serious java failures and I had to change the project sign off to release 2. It was a huge "hit" to the initial credibility of EM12c when having to return to two different clients and ask to downgrade to the previous release.

The stability of the product is excellent. It is sensitive to network issues, but the problem lies in the network, not EM12c.

High heap usage is a common complaint during top EM job utilization. This is a tuning issue over a scalability issue, but it is impacting to the one receiving the incident notifications.

Customer Service: 2 out of 5. I often choose to open an SR as a last resort. My clients just don't have the time it requires to go through an SR process.Technical Support: I would give it a 3 out of 5. There are some service reps that are very helpful and know the product. There are others that I feel I'm wasting my time with and my clients only have me for a set hours per month, so I don't have time to waste.

Some of my customers had either customer scripts scheduled through cron schedulers or Windows schedulers. Having all jobs running within the EM12c eases management for any DBA who might not be familiar with my coding style or know where jobs are scheduled. All they need to know is how to log into the EM12c for that client and they are able to mange the environment when I'm unavailable.

Very simple and well documented.

Implementation Team

In house- I was the one who implemented.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

As this was for clients and I have 12 that I've implemented, I don't have those costs.

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

Consider EM12c over third party products. This is built to be very transparent to the Oracle database environment. Other's, such as Spotlight, Foglight, etc. are a secondary layer and this is using the ASH/AWR data, which is less impacting to anything in the database.