Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

The Database Consolidation Workbench provides a flexible approach for various customer scenarios.

What is most valuable?

It is a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for managing database consolidation, something that has been missing and difficult to do. The Database Consolidation Workbench provides a risk-free and accurate approach to consolidation by eliminating guess work and human errors. Most of the errors that lead to severe issues in production environments are due to poor sizing of the configuration and so-called “educated guesses”. The Workbench provides a flexible approach for various customer scenarios: every environment is unique and several scenarios are possible.

How has it helped my organization?

Database consolidation has been for years a tedious process for many clients. The benefits are enormous. By using the Database Consolidation Workbench, companies achieve the following:

• Reduce complexity
  • Improve efficiency
  • Lower costs
  • Better security
  • Better monitoring
  • Harmonized backups and easier restore
  • Better performance
  • Simplify maintenance
  • Fewer servers in fewer locations
  • Harmonized environment

What needs improvement?

It needs to support the Database versions lower than 10.2.

I have been using the Database Consolidation Workbench since its release with OEM 13c. I am even going to give two keynote speeches over the next month at Oracle conferences in Europe. The subject is of major interest to both business professionals and technical resources.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

10/10

We used just spreadsheets and common-sense practices, which were often doomed to fail. The solution provided now by Oracle covers the last missing piece of the complete set-up when consolidating databases. One can think of Database Consolidation Workbench OEM 13c as the “Holy Grail” of Database Consolidation.

The initial setup was more than straightforward. It's easy to set up, configure, and use.

Reasons to upgrade to Enterprise Manager 13.2: https://blogs.oracle.com/oem/e...

It is part of Real Application Testing, so no new investment is necessary for clients who already are already using RAT.

There are no products available that can be compared with Database Consolidation Workbench. Not even close.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the most important additions to Oracle Enterprise Manager from both the business perspective and DBA point-of-view. Start first with upgrading OEM 11g or 12c to 13c as the Database Consolidation Workbench was introduced first in Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c as part of the Real Application Testing option. Run different scenarios within different projects in order to pick the best strategy. Always validate at the end.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Beta tester, diamond partner, and close collaborator with Oracle development.