Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

I'm able to monitor the cluster levels; all the information is consolidated in one place

What is most valuable?

I mostly use the top events, and look at how the execution is happening on the database; and monitoring the cluster level rates. I even look at the execution plan.

I really love this tool because I don't need to type the commands. It's very user friendly, I just click and get the reports and get it done.

How has it helped my organization?

It does help a lot because we have a centralized place, we can go there and monitor all the databases or whatever else we need to. It's in one place. We can monitor everything.

What needs improvement?

I would say mostly backup and recovery, through the Enterprise Manager. Or any corruptions, to be able to fix them through Enterprise Manager.

In terms of stability, I'm pretty confident. I'm very happy with the product.

Scalability is pretty good. We have everything monitored using Enterprise Manager.

We get our support through the Oracle Support help desk ticketing system. It's good.

We have two types of support. One is an on site person, from Oracle. The other option is that we can create a ticket through the online support.

Previously I was using all command-based, I needed to manually run things, but now I don't need to. Now, whatever I need, I can go and find it.

The switch was a company decision.

It was already set up in our datacenter, another team is managing it, but we are using it.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at a vendor the most important criterion I'm focused on is timely support. A person available, and the ability of the person in support to fix the problem immediately. I also prefer anyone that is a market leader or that has a lot of options, and they know what they're doing.

I give it an eight out of 10 because I still feel that there are more improvements that need to be done.

Go use it first and see whether it's meeting your requirements. Then, if you're happy, go from there.