Oracle Enterprise Manager Review

Allows us to quickly drill down when there are issues

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise Manager is a single window plane of glass which allows one to look into every aspect of the systems deployed in an organization. We use it to mange our internal infrastructure, including Oracle Exadata, Oracle Exalytics, Oracle VMs, ERP solutions (such as Oracle Applications and Fusion Middleware, like SOA and AIA), and Oracle Linux servers.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to quickly drill down when there are issues. It helps us monitor solutions both in-house and at our customer premises. We use it extensively for performance tuning testing, monitoring, and configuration.

What is most valuable?

The database performance monitoring features are very useful and allow us to quickly zero in on DB-related issues.

What needs improvement?

The product is pretty comprehensive, but quite resource hungry. This might be due to the majority of the application seemingly being written in Java.

Also, better mobile access would be useful.

More than five years.

There were some issues with the software due to its resource requirements. Be careful to follow the recommended sizing guidelines.

No issues. It is very scalable.

We have not faced any major issues with the product.

Oracle Enterprise Manager is the only solution which can monitor and drill down into the inner workings of engineered systems, like Exadata and Exalytics. Thus, we had to use this system when we deployed those systems.

Setup can be complex depending on the options required. There is a simple express install and a much more elaborate enterprise class setup, which is also possible.

Our in-house team has the capability to implement this (with customers).

This solution was the only one which allows us to monitor all our solutions from one interface. However, the optional packs are expensive, hence your mileage may vary. Please take advice before choosing what exactly to purchase. Remember that the base configuration is free to monitor any Oracle product.

Evaluate your requirements carefully. Elaborate DR and HA setup of OEM can become expensive.

Be careful to only enable the packs for which you have a license as this is an issue we see time and again. I.e., customers who do not understand the licensing model have not turned off access to packs that they are not licensed for, then get into legal issues for it later.

None of the other options out there have the breadth and depth of this solution. This is the only solution which can drill down to the cell level of an Exadata system. Finally, it has modules available for almost every Oracle product available.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an Oracle shop, or even an Oracle SI, then familiarity with Oracle one stop management solution is an imperative. Everything ties into this solution, so it has become a de facto standard for Oracle-based software given that the base is free to use with Oracle products. There is no downside to deploying this solution in your data center.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Diamond and Cloud Elite partners of Oracle and work as a system integrator for this and other products.