Oracle Exadata Review

There are several features I've found valuable, including Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression, Exadata Smart Scan Technology, and Smart Flash Cache.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We have dramatically improved performance for the batch jobs, after we moved from the traditional Oracle 11G databases to the new Exadata servers.

Performance has improved several-fold and moving (consolidating many small databases from smaller Linux/Unix servers into Exadata cluster) has resulted in lower production support cost and effort for BAU DBAs.

Room for Improvement

There were some minor problems moving databases to Exadata, but it was more a problem with the internal processes with my current employer.

Use of Solution

We've used it since August 2015.

We've not had many issues with deployment, except for the minor issues involving moving databases.

No problems, we have not had any unplanned down-time or performance issues.

We've had no problems with scalability.

Oracle was pretty good in original install and database clusters build, and was pretty helpful in all the requests and questions we posted to them.

I would say technical support is very good. I have extensive working relationships with the Oracle consultants who were deploying the Exadata clusters at Worksafe. We have not had any really major issues with our Exadata clusters so far.

Yes, I have worked as DBAs on traditional Oracle RDBMS versions 9I, 10G and 11G. My previous employer has deployed large DW database into Exadata with great success. Also, Worksafe has decided to move/consolidate many smaller servers/databases into large Exadata clusters. My opinion is that in both cases business users are pretty happy with the database performance and stability on Exadata servers so far.

Initial set-up was a bit complex, but everything was resolved pretty quickly.

Implementation Team

Original implementation was done by Oracle, and I would rate the consultant competence as very high.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I was not involved with pricing and licensing.

Other Solutions Considered

I was not involved in any before evaluation process.

Other Advice

Exadata is very solid and robust machine, with great performance. Highly recommended for companies (who can afford it).

1 Comment
User at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employeesUser

Yes this review is very useful. But it is good if this add exadata key features about smart scan,flash cache and also Hybrid colomnar compression

21 September 16